Red lithium complex grease for boat trailer bearings

My new boat trailer came with Castrol Pyroplex EP red grease in the bearings. It appears to be a decent grease but the washout number is not stellar. To keep it simple, I want to stay with a red disk brake compatible bearing grease. Any suggestions? I have looked at Triax Atlas 600, Mystik JT6 high temp grease. Both seem to have a slightly better washout number, and the Triax seems to be better in most ratings.

suggestions?

Last edited:
I have been using lucas red n tacky on my boat trailers .
Agree, that's what I normally used in mine, but sometimes I'd just use what was in the gun I found that day. Probably mixed greases more than a few times. Greased the bearings before, and after the season.

Boat and trailer weighed 10k, and it travelled about 500 miles a season.

I like Sta-Lube Marine Grease. It's blue. Check this out.

Some boat trailers have newer type lubrication systems. No longer the need to pull the bearings, slap a wad of grease in your palm and push the grease into the bearings that you hold in your other hand.

I am hoping to never have to dunk my boat trailer in the water.

My new boat trailer came with Castrol Pyroplex EP red grease in the bearings. It appears to be a decent grease but the washout number is not stellar. To keep it simple, I want to stay with a red disk brake compatible bearing grease. Any suggestions? I have looked at Triax Atlas 600, Mystik JT6 high temp grease. Both seem to have a slightly better washout number, and the Triax seems to be better in most ratings.

suggestons?
The hub is sealed so the grease is unlikely to "wash out". Most Marine grade trailer greases will be fine.

Boat and trailer are around 8000 pounds. Maybe 500 miles per year. It has the axles with the built in grease system where you pump the front zerk and it pushes the grease through the hubs and out the front.

Boat and trailer are around 8000 pounds. Maybe 500 miles per year. It has the axles with the built in grease system where you pump the front zerk and it pushes the grease through the hubs and out the front.
You don't need to renew the grease if the hub is fully packed. The biggest mistake one can make is overfilling the hub and blowing the rear hub seal.

I like Sta-Lube Marine Grease. It's blue. Check this out.

Some boat trailers have newer type lubrication systems. No longer the need to pull the bearings, slap a wad of grease in your palm and push the grease into the bearings that you hold in your other hand.

I am hoping to never have to dunk my boat trailer in the water.
Yeah, but greasing those bearings by hand is part of the boat ownership "experience". Glove up if you wish.

Interesting. Does the grease have a place to exit the hub without blowing a seal. Perhaps this is new tech on your hub.
It comes out the front.

Attachments

• CDD45F52-0A6A-479B-83BC-9156842248ED.jpeg
    CDD45F52-0A6A-479B-83BC-9156842248ED.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 112
The Castrol Pyroplex EP seems to be a typical lithium complex grease. The lithium complex Mystic JT6 has great specifications and should be equal or better.

I'm no expert on grease, but the water washout test measures just that - how much grease washes away exposed to a spray of water. I don't think it means how well the grease is resistant to absorbing water that oozes into the hub. That's why most marine greases are calcium or aluminum based - they resist water absorption better. You are confusing spray off resistance vs. sponge-like absorbtion resistance. Water washoff would be more relevant to exposed 5th wheels, outdoor excavator/loader pins, etc..

Apparently, your hub company is confident that their design will 1.) prevent water intrusion, and 2.) has a mechanism to flush and replace the grease regularly. Therefore, water absorbing/washout resistance is not critical, just like a normal vehicle bearing. That's why they chose a high quality, high temperature lithium complex bearing grease (tiny trailer wheels spin madly). They don't think they need high water resistance qualities.

Also, FYI, please try to accept that grease color means absolutely nothing regarding quality. Most of us associate red, green, blue as higher quality vs. natural amber/tan grease. You are correct to use the same grease base, i.e. lithium complex, if you don't clean out the old stuff first.

ASTM D1264 Determining The Water Washout Characteristics Of Lubricating Greases

A standard ABEC 6204 test bearing is packed with 4 grams of the grease to be tested. The bearing is rotated at 600 rpm in the water spray chamber at 100°F for one hour. 300 mls of water per minute are sprayed at the bearing assembly. The percent weight loss of the grease carried away with the water is reported. This test is a relative measure of a grease’s ability to resist removal by water.

Last edited:
The Castrol Pyroplex EP seems to be a typical lithium complex grease. The lithium complex Mystic JT6 has great specifications and should be equal or better.

I'm no expert on grease, but the water washout test measures just that - how much grease washes away exposed to a spray of water. I don't think it means how well the grease is resistant to absorbing water that oozes into the hub. That's why most marine greases are calcium or aluminum based - they resist water absorption better. You are confusing spray off resistance vs. sponge-like absorbtion resistance. Water washoff would be more relevant to exposed 5th wheels, outdoor excavator/loader pins, etc..

Apparently, your hub company is confident that their design will 1.) prevent water intrusion, and 2.) has a mechanism to flush and replace the grease regularly. Therefore, water absorbing/washout resistance is not critical, just like a normal vehicle bearing. That's why they chose a high quality, high temperature lithium complex bearing grease (tiny trailer wheels spin madly). They don't think they need high water resistance qualities.

Also, FYI, please try to accept that grease color means absolutely nothing regarding quality. Most of us associate red, green, blue as higher quality vs. natural amber/tan grease. You are correct to use the same grease base, i.e. lithium complex, if you don't clean out the old stuff first.

ASTM D1264 Determining The Water Washout Characteristics Of Lubricating Greases

A standard ABEC 6204 test bearing is packed with 4 grams of the grease to be tested. The bearing is rotated at 600 rpm in the water spray chamber at 100°F for one hour. 300 mls of water per minute are sprayed at the bearing assembly. The percent weight loss of the grease carried away with the water is reported. This test is a relative measure of a grease’s ability to resist removal by water.
Good information, thanks. The color selection was only because mixing colors would make it difficult to tell if there is water intrusion since there isn’t a baseline color to reference.

Back