Dexter Axle Grease specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '99 Jayco travel trailer with Dexter axles. I would like to use the same wheel bearing grease on it that I use on my boat trailer. I have been using Lubriplate Marine Trailer Bearing Grease which is NLGI 2, GC/LB rated. The grease in "not" on Dexter's approved list but does appear to meet the Dexter specs with the exception of the base. Dexter calls for a lithium base and the Lubriplate Marine grease is a Calcium Sulfonate complex base presumably for better resistance to washout. My gut tells me that the Lubriplate will be OK as long as I remove all the old lithium base grease. What are the opinions of the group? Am I safe with this grease?

I don't see a problem with it. Just clean out the old grease before repacking and you should be fine.

Dexter Manual lists Kendall L-427 Super Blue grease. I've used it for 30 years and it's an awesome lubricant for non-moly apps.

We have a lot of Dexter axles at work. I've had to use a number of different types and brands of grease in pinches, never had a problem. There isn't anything special about Dexter's, they use common seals in their hub assemblies and run regular tapered bearings and the spring/shackles are certainty nothing special. The marine grease you are using will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back