Red Line Oil Viscosity Index Improvers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Honestly, RL's formualtions are old school. Calcium is way too high for DI engines, and the ZDP levels are too high for modern engines. Their greatest attribute is the POE base oils and high shear stability. Other than that, not much to be desired.

If I had to guess, using a more modern additive/detergent system in combination with the current level of POE they use it would increase the price drastically.

The two "new" Mid-SAPS Euro products (5w30 and 5w40) are a bit more "modern".

I'd make a suggestion to call Red Line. Oil companies won't give out information they consider proprietary, but Red Line does have an extremely good reputation here for answering customers' questions as best as they can. They can also help you interpret some of the data on their data sheets, as can some posters here, too.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
For some reason I thought that for a microwave to work, the natural resonance of the molecule has to be @ the same frequency of the microwave.

I don't think you want it at exactly the resonance frequency of the molecule (water ?) that you are trying to heat, otherwise it over heats the surface but doesn't penetrate deeper into the material to heat the inside.

By being a little "off frequency" your get better penetration and internal heating.

Originally Posted By: buster
Honestly, RL's formualtions are old school. Calcium is way too high for DI engines, and the ZDP levels are too high for modern engines. Their greatest attribute is the POE base oils and high shear stability. Other than that, not much to be desired.

If I had to guess, using a more modern additive/detergent system in combination with the current level of POE they use it would increase the price drastically.

Define "modern engines" please.

While most blenders put cost first, it seems Redline is dedicated to quality first.

The additives in Redline are designed to work with ester based formula.

Marketing won the synthetic legal battle but they didn't win me.

Roller cams where RL levels of ZDP are not needed and can be actually bad and RL levels of calcium for LSPI issues.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
There is a thread floating around which suggests RL has moved into using primarily PAO base stocks.

Redline hasn't changed their website. They still say "fully synthetic ester formula" right on the top of their Products page.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products.aspx

Fully Synthetic Ester Formula = A Fully Synthetic Oil (GIII, GIV GV, with some Esters)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
I'd make a suggestion to call Red Line. Oil companies won't give out information they consider proprietary, but Red Line does have an extremely good reputation here for answering customers' questions as best as they can. They can also help you interpret some of the data on their data sheets, as can some posters here, too.

^^^THIS!

Dave at Red Line is VERY helpful!
thumbsup2.gif

I know in the other thread you mentioned that he was on vacation/sabbatical/whatever until 7/10, but speak to him when he returns.

BTW; he HAS told me when I've asked that ONLY their 0Wxx oils contain any real measurable amounts of viscosity index improvers, and even those 0Ws contain less than other manufacturers' 0W-xxes with the same rated VIs, due to the lack of need for VIIs with high POE/PAO content base stocks.
smile.gif

Jetronic,
I've had difficulties doing it, as their densities are generic rather than specific.

I can't imagine that their entire range has the same density.

Yes, that's what attracted me to Redline oils to start with. Many of their oils had a TSR of 1.0 prior to their reformulation in 2013. Then their TSR's dropped about 10%. I think Redline had some kind of a secret sauce that caused their KV100 to read low, but would go away as the oil aged. I ran Redline in my Camaro for a few OCI's, and the KV100's increased above the PDS values when I had oil analyses done. Their current oils have maintained about the same HTHS values by having higher KV100 values to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back