red line coefficent of friction

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK it is not a "nano" oil. Something like that would be all over the website and packaging.

Call their tech support line and ask about the CoF. The phone guys are usually good about answering questions.

"coefficient of friction" in most parts of an engine are related to viscosity.

While hydrodynamics is in play, viscosity rules (HTHS mostly).

Cams and the like have boundary lubrication, and additives can reduce the COF in those locations.

^+1

Definitely not nano.

Cf is probably no higher than any other full syn, despite what RL would claim IMO.

If anything, RL will produce less hp and more friction due to the higher HT/HS.

called dave he said he is pretty sure red line uses nano tech. will find out about cof..when he emails me I will let you all know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Help me understand: what is "nano" when it comes to oil?

Nanotech usually refers to nanometer (Angstrom) sized solid particles dispersed in an oil or ester to reduce coefficient of friction and wear in lubricants.

The coefficient of friction is a function of base oil and viscosity, additives, and loads wrt surfice interactions.

Last edited:
Good to see Molakule still chiming in very knowledgeable guy right there.
11.gif

Jeff

.037 is the lowest coefficient of friction I have seen from any maker that goes in the crankcase and that was from Archoil calling it 2nd generation boron or something like this. Redline, Amsoil, etc niche players will have to embrace nano technology sooner or later to stay viable just like the big players had to embrace synthetics. Looking for forward to reading what Red Line is doing in that department.

So the question is......do the labs that do the analysis, can they pick up on the nano technology in the oil?

Just curious on that.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
So the question is......do the labs that do the analysis, can they pick up on the nano technology in the oil?

Just curious on that.

Jeff

First off, I don't know what you seek to gain by knowing the COF.

The COF differs with the type of formulated oil and engine loads.

Unless they have an X-ray microscope, they will not detect any nano sized particles.

I don't know of any oil analysis lab that has any of these microscopes.

COF is dependent on the test procedure. It is undetermined without that. Given a procedure, it is dependent on the oil's viscosity and additive package combination. So there is no generic answer to your COF question, as it was posed.

Originally Posted By: dparm
AFAIK it is not a "nano" oil. Something like that would be all over the website and packaging.

It would also have to be almost TWICE the price of their current products, since the only current source of nano additives is an Israeli company, and Dave, et al at Red Line, would have to PAY dearly for the monopoly this company holds.
frown.gif

here is the response from dave at red line

Sorry I don’t have the coefficient of friction for our products, nor would I expect it to be considered a nano oil.

here is the response from dave at red line

Sorry I don’t have the coefficient of friction for our products, nor would I expect it to be considered a nano oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back