Red Line 10W30 in a 10HP Briggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an extra quart of Red Line 10W30 oil. Is this a good oil to run in a 10Hp Briggs on my riding mower? No FF filter on this engine. Also how long can I safely run this oil? One year?

Why would you use/waste $8 a quart oil in a B&S motor?
nono.gif
Go to Wal-Mart and get SuperTech SAE30w and forget about the Redline.
burnout.gif

Do you have any trucks that could use this oil?
dunno.gif
I hear it's great in S-10's and V-10's.
grin.gif

Also a good way to crash the engine. The high detergency of redline will break up old deposits and that could clog things since you have no filter. If this is a air cooled engine you should use only non detergent straight 30 or 40 weight. Trust me I know from experience-I blew one using multi viscosity detergent mineral oil.

don't use a non-detergent oil in that motor! if you want to use a 30 weight hd oil fine, or maybe a 15-40 fleet type. yes, i beleive that if you have an extra qt of redline and you really want to use it in your 10hp, it would be fine as well. i doubt that the extra detergency of the synthetic, seeing that yout motor is also filterless, would cause a major chunk of anything to come undone and destroy your motor. synthetics will, slowly remove some but not all, petroleum based oil sludge and varnish over time. they are a superior lubricant that many on this forum use in their own lawn and garden equipment. cooler running engines, better fuel economy, extended drain intervals, less friction, won't leave sludge, the list goes on. penz

Old school thought--If you fill with NON-DETERGENT, you must stay that way. If you put a detergent oil in an engine using N-D, the detergent oil will break up crap in the motor and thats the reason for high failure rates in that case. All modern air-cooled 4-stroke lawn/utility engines specify the use of DETERGENT motor oil. 30W straight is fine, however alot of posters use other weights with success as well.
patriot.gif

at least on my latest briggs, a 4 and a half on a bolens mower i will use to back up my honda harmony, the manual calls for 30 weight detergent oil from 40 degrees to 100 degrees, and 5w30 and 10w30 synthetic from 0 degrees to 100 degrees fahrenheit. hope this is helpful.

Everone speaks so highly of Castrol 0W30, maybe I should run this oil instead of the Red Line. Or is Castrol 0W30 the poor man's Red Line? So many questions, so few answers.

worshippy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back