Briggs Alloy Bore- what oils for longevity ?

Hi Shannow,welcome back.
The OHV Briggs engines don't really care.They run way cooler than your side valve Quantum.As previously mentioned the air cleaner is the most important item to prevent bore wear.Briggs still recommend sae30,but any 10w30 or 15w40 will be fine.As you know the best thing you can do is change the oil every year.

Hi Shannow,welcome back.
The OHV Briggs engines don't really care.They run way cooler than your side valve Quantum.As previously mentioned the air cleaner is the most important item to prevent bore wear.Briggs still recommend sae30,but any 10w30 or 15w40 will be fine.As you know the best thing you can do is change the oil every year.

After first mow crankcase temp 60c, rocker cover 80c....nailed it mate, very not hot

Probably to put 5w-30 init and never change it.
I take OPE owner's manuals with a grain of salt. Most are so generic in order to fit a variety of use-cases that it really provides no helpful information. I've seen recent Briggs and Stratton manuals suggesting to use oil that meets or exceeds API ratings from the 1980s. I've also purchased BRAND NEW engines for install in clients' machines where the owner's manual didn't even have the correct control operation diagrams for the engine that was in the same box.

That’s the great thing about small engines - mowers….
They will be fine running most any oil.
I’m old but I’ve mainly used 30 HD in all my small engines. Mowed at 40 to 100 degrees. It’s always everything else that fails before the engine.

They are throw away engines, but as with any air cooled engine thicker is usually better. As mentioned air filter seal and frequent oil changed will have that engine lasting as long as it can.

I take OPE owner's manuals with a grain of salt. Most are so generic in order to fit a variety of use-cases that it really provides no helpful information. I've seen recent Briggs and Stratton manuals suggesting to use oil that meets or exceeds API ratings from the 1980s. I've also purchased BRAND NEW engines for install in clients' machines where the owner's manual didn't even have the correct control operation diagrams for the engine that was in the same box.
Yeah you want that 80s oil spec for non catalytic, flat tappet, dirty running carbed engines.

All good advice. I'm sure it will receive plenty of TLC. whatever Shannow chooses to use.My 2cents is check the oil before every use and you can use any oil you want. :cool:

Back