Red Bull reaches unprecedented milestone with launch of first in-house F1 engine.

Legally, Red Bull Racing Ltd., the Formula 1 team, didn't reach any milestone and aren't launching their first engine.

Red Bull Powertrain 2026 Ltd. is the company launching a new engine.

Red Bull incorporated a new company, Red Bull Powertrain 2026 Ltd., back in late-May. While still under the Red Bull GmbH corporate umbrella, it is it's own distinct company, separate from Red Bull Racing Ltd. and Red Bull Powertrain Ltd., which is the company responsible for the current Honda-handoff engine.

This was done to maximize benefits given to "new" engine manufacturers, as full benefits for a new engine launched by an existing constructor, Red Bull Racing Ltd. and Red Bull Powertrain Ltd., may be in doubt.

Legally, Red Bull Racing Ltd., the Formula 1 team, didn't reach any milestone and aren't launching their first engine.

Red Bull Powertrain 2026 Ltd. is the company launching a new engine.

Red Bull incorporated a new company, Red Bull Powertrain 2026 Ltd., back in late-May. While still under the Red Bull GmbH corporate umbrella, it is it's own distinct company, separate from Red Bull Racing Ltd. and Red Bull Powertrain Ltd., which is the company responsible for the current Honda-handoff engine.

This was done to maximize benefits given to "new" engine manufacturers, as full benefits for a new engine launched by an existing constructor, Red Bull Racing Ltd. and Red Bull Powertrain Ltd., may be in doubt.
im-like-so-confused-man.jpg

Don't know much about current F1 engines, I guess. They are about 1 quarter electric horsepower now. And an all electric series is currently running, if that's your thing.
I guess the F1 people haven't gotten the word about everything going electric, eh?

This cluelessness is what will doom auto racing.

Don't know much about current F1 engines, I guess. They are about 1 quarter electric horsepower now. And an all electric series is currently running, if that's your thing.
Not my thing, but reality. Production vehicles are rapidly going electric. One criticism of auto racing over the years has been that the race cars really don't drive innovation in street vehicles any more, and often the race technology is actually behind what's used on the street.

Creating a new six-cylinder race engine is a shining example of the race community being out of touch. Remember automakers are ending ICE development and assigning those engineers to other work.

There's always a possibility that fuel for racing use will be restricted or banned by 2026, when this new engine would appear.

Engine spec (has been) is frozen until 2026. Then electric will go up to about a third, and bio-fuel and some horsepucky called "carbon neutral" will be in play. Deleting some of the more fiddly bits.

Back