What exactly is Mobil using here (RBR F1 oil)?

If any of you guys follow F1, you'll notice Red Bull has really upped their car/engine the past few races. Apparently they have changed the engine oil they are using to something with vastly different additive pack that runs much hotter, and has upped the engine power substantially.

The end result is an oil that features components normally used in the cosmetics industry, but are now being utilised to help improve the oil's protective film that it leaves on metal parts. This saves the engine from damage caused by extreme heat and wear.

Any ideas what they're doing?

"These new components were incorporated as they were found to offer many benefits, including stronger interactions with metal surfaces and lower friction, helping deliver maximum power while offering protection and fuel efficiency.

"These benefits also translate into an ability to run the engine across a wider range of operating conditions."

Excited to see if these special "components" will trickle to store shelves.

That's awesome and they've been killing it. Love this F1 season so far.
I am surprised they gave as many hints as they did. But we'll never know.

While the oil may have changed, they also upgraded engine internals, under a "reliability upgrade" provision. They said it was needed to minimize vibrations.
This also happened to get them another 19hp(local Diema tv report). How fortunate :)

oloeo fatty chemistry like used for skin feel. slippery ester natural oils.

May mess with low temp properties of which racing is not needed. deposits also

If any of you guys follow F1, you'll notice Red Bull has really upped their car/engine the past few races. Apparently they have changed the engine oil they are using to something with vastly different additive pack that runs much hotter, and has upped the engine power substantially.

Any ideas what they're doing?
With over 50 "carrier" oils available for cosmetics

and the other chemistry included in cosmetics

it would be difficult to determine what their magical potion might be, but I would guess that it is some kind of natural oil or wax that has been "transesterified" and included in the formula. Transesterification is well known process in organic chemistry:

Last edited:
many cosmetics are unhealthy for you due to estrogenic activity, so they can keep them for mechanical lubes IMO. technology NEVER rests + the quest for any advantage in pro racing costs $$$$$$$

oloeo fatty chemistry like used for skin feel. slippery ester natural oils.

May mess with low temp properties of which racing is not needed. deposits also
During the last several years EM has done research on monoesters for improved high temperature performance in engine oil, research into improved wear control and alkylated anisole. The anisole work seems to be investigating if it gives improvements over AN's which give improved hydrolytic stability than esters used for solubility purposes. AA seems to give AN-like properties without the hydrolytic instability.

I'm just happy to see anyone except Mercedes at the front. Now that it just happens to be my favorite team doing it, well I'm more than thrilled.

This indicates oil temperatures up to 575F, so yeah, normal operating temperatures must be on a different level to anything any of us are seeing.
So, there may not be any applicability to passenger car oils.

I cant find the article now, but Honda went on to say there are no improvements in the power unit, but what we're seeing is improvements in wing design.

That's really what it is - multiple variables coming together quite nicely.

like typical oil blenders PROPRIETY means you will NEVER really know!! with most things research is trying to make things less costly to make for higher profits even if it almost kills you, aka drugs BUT pro racing + especially F-1 cost matters less than WINNING!!!

like typical oil blenders PROPRIETY means you will NEVER really know!! with most things research is trying to make things less costly to make for higher profits even if it almost kills you, aka drugs BUT pro racing + especially F-1 cost matters less than WINNING!!!
Propriety?

And that mention of drugs… Well…

What was a long shot a few years ago - a vision of a low ash, high temperature, low friction engine oil that incorporates bio-based components became a reality this year, thanks to the efforts of our whole team, in collaboration with Honda and Red Bull.

Clearly it is unicorn tears.

Back