Recycling oil in my cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question regarding reusing oil. I have 2006 Suzuki Aerio with 12000 miles on it and in order to keep my warranty I have to change oil every 5000 miles. I also have 2001 nissan sentra with 49000 miles with no warranty. I like to use synthetic oil in both cars.
My plan is to use M1 5w-30 EP first in Suzuki for first 5K miles than drain it and reuse in Nissan until I have another oil batch from first car. Between me and my wife we drive around 14K on each car a year. Open for suggestions. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Just use cheaper M1, PP. I'd use dino in the 2001 before I dumped used syn into a newer car (nonbeater). What do you save - $17 a year if you do 3 OCI on each - EPM1 for Suzi over M1 for both.

You can buy quality dino for the price difference of M1 and EPM1 and pay no more than your proposed plan.

You may be one of the first Bitogers with a big stash of used EPM1 by the end of the warranty if the Nissan uses less oil than the Suzi. Be sure to send a picture of that and your hazardous waste signage.

I do this with a few beaters that I have. I drain the oil from my wife's car @ 3,000 miles and pour it either in my 84 GMC panel van or my 86 Lincoln Town Car. When either one needs a top off, I use oil I've drained from my 96 Chevy truck @ 5,000 miles. I leave the "used" oil in both autos for around 3,000 and then drain and change filter. The only reason I do this is both automobiles are about dead from wear and rust. Well, that and I'm cheap. I am very careful when draining oil from wife's car into CLEAN oil drain pan and storing oil in CLEAN jugs, (old five quart oil jugs). Having said that, I'll say that as cheap as I am, I would have a hard time pouring "used" oil in a car with less than one hundred thousand miles on it.

Rig yourself up a gravity feed TP filter. Have it drain into a cleaned container. Some of the guys who frequent the bypass forum have done this. You don't need to worry about how fast it drains. That should give you clean fluids for swapping/sharing. Keep it tidy now ..and by all means ..be safe
wink.gif

I thought it quite clever.

I think putting used oil in the other car is crazy.

I'd simply skip the synthetic and use a good quality dino in BOTH cars and change at 5K OCIs. You'll spend less money overall this way.

If you think the oil you drain from one car is still usable in another, you obviously changed your oil too often.

If you want to save money, get good dino on discount and change every 5k.

Can you say "dee dee dee".

This is about the funniest post I have seen on here. What, do you live in Somalia, and can't afford $30 extra dollars a year. Right now, you can go to Autozone, get 5 quarts of Mobil Clean 5000, and an STP filter for $9.99. Buy three OCI's at this price for $30, and it is proven for 5k. Save yourself the wear metals, fuel dilution, and other insolubles in your second motor. In the long run, how much are you saving if you have to replace engine parts, or rebuild because you were too cheap just to buy new oil? This is why I hate to buy used cars, you never know what idiots that had it before you have done to it. Now I have heard everything.

Why all the negativity? The UOA section has plenty of examples of people running synthetic out to 10k miles with no major problems. And M1 EP is a pretty good oil.

That said, I agree it's safer to use good dino oil in both cars. And the Sentra is pretty new which makes me leery of putting used oil in it. But in theory...
dunno.gif

I'd suggest doing a UOA on the oil and if it seems to be in good enough condition for the rest of the interval with that same oil in a different car than go ahead. I would just hate to hear a story like "My car developed a coolant leak/abrasive wear/fuel dilution/high insolubles..." or whatever an issue could be and it end up destroying two engines over it. I probably wouldn't have had any issues putting my last oil change from my Prizm in another car of mine as it seemed decent, but I would have probably not have done it as it thickened up a bit and I wasn't sure if the Iron level was normal or not, but I'm sure it wouldn't kill it right away, but since I probably wouldn't want to run the same oil more than another few thousand miles I wouldn't even do 3,000 miles with it in there with my own current oil. I'd defintely recommend oil analysis for something like this but unless you are already doing analysis you would still spend more than just buying the twice the amount of the same oil and pouring it into both cars.

How about just using cheap dino in both. Once I drain oil out of an engine I can't imagine putting it back in another engine.

Shooting from the hip plain and simple I'd say no way.

In your cars you're welcome to do whatever floats your boat. However, in my cars no way.

An 01 Sentra with 49K is by no means a beater, and probably worth putting fresh oil into.

Thanks for responses. It seems very strange that M1 5w-30 EP with 2/3 life left is worst than new dino oil. Suzuki engine is new and my wife do not race it so it will be easy on oil. Than again, many people swear by an extended OCI, does it makes a difference inside which engine oil will get old and will be dump at about 10k-11k miles?
P.S. I can afford to change oil in both cars at 3K OCI with synthetic, but it is not just about the money.

The add pack and viscosity on the syn may be fine when it leaves the first car, but it's the combustion deposits, fuel and possibly coolant that your Sentra may not take kindly to. Oil filters clean oil only up to a point. Contaminants that pass through the filter ends up in your bearings and journals, and that's not a very nice thing to do to a reasonably new engine. I don't know why, but this reminds me of sharing dirty needles.

The basic facts stated by dima are that in the 06 car he HAS to change the oil every 5,000 mi. to keep the warranty up, he wants to use SYNTHETIC oil in both the 06 and 01 cars, and his proposal is to use Mobil 1 EP in the 06 for 5,000 mi. and then transfer it to the 01. He does not WANT to use dino or another oil change interval or another regimen.

Since Mobil 1 EP is generally thought to be good for at least 10,000 mi., what's the difference whether the miles put on the oil over the 5,000 mi. mark are while the oil's in the 06 car or in the 01 car? His plan makes perfectly good sense to me, so long as he drains the oil out of the 01 car after running it in that car for 5,000 mi. or so.

quote:

Originally posted by dima:
Thanks for responses. It seems very strange that M1 5w-30 EP with 2/3 life left is worst than new dino oil. Suzuki engine is new and my wife do not race it so it will be easy on oil. Than again, many people swear by an extended OCI, does it makes a difference inside which engine oil will get old and will be dump at about 10k-11k miles?
P.S. I can afford to change oil in both cars at 3K OCI with synthetic, but it is not just about the money.

I'm neutral on your proposal here. I've never approached your situation from that angle. It would surely be a waste to just throw the stuff away at 5k. You can probably have your cake and eat it too here.

Since $$ isn't the real issue ..what would be really interesting is to UOA the 5k stuff you're putting in the 01 and then do a UOA on that when it comes out for it's final disposal. Not only would you see the levels of additive uptake and depletion in the 06 ..but you might be able to glean some insight into film formations and how "older oil produces lower wear metals" stuff.

Thanks. However, as I stated before, it seems very contradicted that oil, which was design to last 15K miles is good enough to run in one engine but not good to run for 10K miles combine in two newer engines. Let me note that 06 car has already 12K miles on it so I do not anticipate a lot of contaminants in the oil. Plus It drives around 50 miles per day therefore oil will have a chance to warm-up for optimal performance. I will run UOA from 06 car at 5K mark. If UOA will show that quality of oil is on par with cheap dino and can be used for another 5K miles, than why not? I think it would proof that M1 EP worth $$ they ask for.

I'm all for not wasting things, but this seems a little obsessive. Maybe a good semi-synthetic for your 06 until it's out of warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back