Record high temps in the Northwest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Record cool temps so far in July in most cities in northern Ohio. Again this week, temps running 2-4 degrees below daytime normal. The same is true in the New England area. FWIW

The Ohio Valley sends everything to NuWingland via air mail
56.gif

102 right now on my patio (in the shade; 3 different sensors).
I wish either the ocean was closer, or Lake Washington wasn't full of the waste products of human and waterfowl.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
I wish either the ocean was closer, or Lake Washington wasn't full of the waste products of human and waterfowl.

Lake Washington compares very well with any metropolitan lake when it comes to cleanliness. I've swam in it many times as well as fished (ate the fish) and boated on it. While I would avoid swimming in the crowded beach parks (children abound....if you know what I mean), go further out into the lake in a boat a just dive in....it's beautiful out there.

It hit the century mark up here in Lynden today. Never been this hot on record here in the Pacific Northwest AFAIK. Ever!

As to Lake Warshington- it is beautiful and I agree it is relatively clean although it has not always been so (I remember when Matthews Beach was closed due to pollution in '69 or so). And I believe it is still under-fished!

Originally Posted By: Crashbox
It hit the century mark up here in Lynden today. Never been this hot on record here in the Pacific Northwest AFAIK. Ever!

As to Lake Warshington- it is beautiful and I agree it is relatively clean although it has not always been so (I remember when Matthews Beach was closed due to pollution in '69 or so). And I believe it is still under-fished!

You're right! Way back then it was indeed polluted (though nothing like some eastern waterways were at that time). And yes, it is underfished. Funny how so many folks live around it yet it still has a great and varied fish population.
Today at my home out near Kent we hit 104!!! I'm out spraying my chickens and coop down every hour or so. Poor things are not liking it. On the other hand I was laying out on a lawn chair and actually found it to be very nice....for about twenty minutes or so at a time.

when I had trouble with my A/C a couple of weekends ago, I figured I could build a fire in the fire place if I had to.

Note, it turned out to ba a flaky circuit breaker for the furnace.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: MarkC

Lake Washington compares very well with any metropolitan lake when it comes to cleanliness. I've swam in it many times as well as fished (ate the fish) and boated on it. While I would avoid swimming in the crowded beach parks (children abound....if you know what I mean), go further out into the lake in a boat a just dive in....it's beautiful out there.

Don't have a boat, but I have gone in from the shore and swam out several hundred yards. It does compare well with many metropolitan lakes (but that doesn't mean a lot), but I guess having grown up on the ocean, that's what I prefer.

Maybe so, but for arguments sake here is a statement from an 'official' state site about Lake washington:

Quick facts on Lake Washington's Status
Water Quality
On the whole, the water quality of Lake Washington is extraordinary for a large lake surrounded by urban development--perhaps the best in the world.
Key factors for the lake's excellent water quality include:

The cleanliness of the Cedar River, which provides half of its inflow;
A rapid flushing rate, with average water residence only 2.3 years;
The lake's depth, which causes waters in the lake to mix from top to bottom annually, oxygenating the lowest waters (which prevents the chemical release of phosphorus from the lake floor).
There are, however, water quality concerns in the lake, including:

A long-term trend of increasing alkilinity, the causes and effects of which are unclear;
Spring algal blooms in 1995 and 1996 that were the worst in more than a decade;
High fecal coliform counts in some localized areas.

Last edited:
I did a dive at the Arboretum across from Husky Stadium back in the late 70s. It looked real deep and I had my arms in front of me when I dove in.

I ended up with my arms in the gooey muck and the top of my head covered in an oily muck. I figured that it must be the last 75 years of boat pollution through the canal between the lake and Puget Sound. I assumed it was petroleum products of some type. I am glad that it was soft muck, otherwise I might have broken my neck.....
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
Record cool temps so far in July in most cities in northern Ohio. Again this week, temps running 2-4 degrees below daytime normal. The same is true in the New England area. FWIW

We're setting record lows here as well. Got to about 48 last night and should be even cooler today and tonight with a high in the mid to low 60s.

I'll take it. We dealt with record heat a few years ago where it was getting into the low 100s on a daily basis and up to 115 out on the southeastern CO plains.

It snowed on some of the higher passes in CO last night!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back