Recommendations for my 1988 Ferrari Testarossa.

Modern Ferraris now specifying Shell Helix Ultra Racing 10w60, or Penn 10w60, meeting API SN/CF and ACEA A3, B3, B4.

Greetings everyone! I own a 1988 Ferrari Testarossa, 40k miles. The workshop manual calls for a 10w50 oil. According to the last service record, right before I took delivery of the car, the oil used was Liqid Moly Race Tech 10w60. It’s almost time for it’s next annual fluid change service so I’m trying to decide what product to use.

I do intend to keep this car indefinitely so I want to use the best product. I do not track the car, and probably drive it more gently than 95% of other Ferrari drivers, but I do open her up every once in a while.

What oil would you guys recommend? The oil will be changed annually and I will probably put around 2k miles on the car per year. Some years a little less (I’ve put less than 1k on it so far this year) and some a little more. As far as I can tell, the car hasn’t used any oil since the last oil change.
I rode in a Pantera and just love and appreciate those cars. A ride on the highway 🛣️ would be a great for me.

Modern Ferraris now specifying Shell Helix Ultra Racing 10w60, or Penn 10w60, meeting API SN/CF and ACEA A3, B3, B4.
Actually Ferrari only recommends the 10w-60 for regular or heavy track use. Its the Shell/Pennzoil 5w-40 for most applications...even for occasional track use.

Actually Ferrari only recommends the 10w-60 for regular or heavy track use. Its the Shell/Pennzoil 5w-40 for most applications...even for occasional track use.
My 2022 is very clear that only 10w60 is spec'd, for all applications.

Same Ferrari engines that were specifying 5w40 three or four years ago are now specifying only 10w60 for all applications. Not sure if this applies to all Ferrari engines, but know that it applies to some.

My 2022 is very clear that only 10w60 is spec'd, for all applications.

Same Ferrari engines that were specifying 5w40 three or four years ago are now specifying only 10w60 for all applications. Not sure if this applies to all Ferrari engines, but know that it applies to some.
That's a big change, thanks for sharing. I know it applies to the more recent V12s, as my buddy picked up an used F12 and noted the Shell 10w-60 requirement.

Last edited:
At 2,000 miles per year the car will die from old age before it is worn out! The Testarossa is one of the prettiest Ferraris ever !

I know there are a few speciality oils, like Amsoil, Royal Purple etc. Do they offer any real advantage over Mobil 1 or are they just something to spend your money on?
In my experience, no. With the caveat that (as an example) there are more robust 5w-30’s from boutique sources. “Some of” those specialty oils may as well be rated as 5W-40 (or even 10W-40) though AND can be compared to them.

M1 15W-50 has been the solution for my high output turbocharged race engines. No drama, no deposits, no bearing wear, no turbocharger coking.

Last edited:
Just curious why people recommend the 15W-50 over the 5W-50? The 5W-50 is Porsche rated and seems a brother to the 0W-40, which is often considered the top shelf M1 oil, no? I've got 5W-50 in my 308 right now.

Just curious why people recommend the 15W-50 over the 5W-50? The 5W-50 is Porsche rated and seems a brother to the 0W-40, which is often considered the top shelf M1 oil, no? I've got 5W-50 in my 308 right now.
If the ambient temps allow it, might aswell use a 15W oil with a thicker base and less VII.

Op is in Alabama and said he rarely sees anything less than 29F, and i doubt he is driving it at those temps anyway, and even if he did, M1 15W-50 is absolutely fine at those temps.

Probably because it shears per some UOA's posted here, but it is fine.....

Curious, what did the 308 originally recommend for oils?

It passes all kinds of great specs... not worried in the least about shearing. The 308 originally had an Agip SINT 2000 10W-50 synthetic. Ferrari updated the spec to 5W-40 at some point, supposedly. I was running M1 0W-40 but noticed when it was hot the oil pressure was down a bit; probably not a problem but... better safe than sorry.

Having 15/50 over a 5/50. That's a large gap in viscosity. I would go with the M1 15/50.

In the 308 series, the recommended oil was Agip semi synthetic 10w-50. But when Ferrari switched to Shell in the 1990s, they started recommending using Shell Ultra Helix 5w-40 synthetic almost universally for everything built to that point. There were some exceptions for 1960s and older Ferraris.

In the 308 series, the recommended oil was Agip semi synthetic 10w-50. But when Ferrari switched to Shell in the 1990s, they started recommending using Shell Ultra Helix 5w-40 synthetic almost universally for everything built to that point. There were some exceptions for 1960s and older Ferraris.

Yup. It just makes me wonder how much research was really put into the suggestion. I'd love to think it was a well engineered answer but... was it?

Back