Recommendations for modified VW 2.0T GTI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading and searching and I know I still have a lot to learn but I'd like to get something started with the great ppl on this forum
smile.gif

I have a 2006 VW GTI with the FSI 2.0T engine. I've been running M1 0-W40 since I purchased it around 10k miles with 5k OCI. I've been modifying it over the years and last fall (53k miles) I stepped up to a bigger turbo (K04) to go along with the bigger injectors, intercooler, down pipe, etc, etc. Along with the turbo came 5 liters of Motul Specific 502/505 oil and that got me thinking about finding better / best oil for use with my boosted beast as I do tend to drive it hard often.

I've had some problems searching on the site but I have some ideas and plan on doing an UOA on the Motul. I'm looking for threads, discussions, and recommendations on modified 2.0T FSIs for oils. I know this engine is tough on oil and don't mind paying for something high quality since I go 9-12 months before I hit 5k. I'd like to be able to pick it up locally but if I have to order online I can.

So far I've gather to try some of these for a step up from the Mobil 1. Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40 Euro, Redline 5w-40, Amsoil 5w-40 Euro, or Rotella T6 5w-40. I'd like to know if there's any of these or others that can handle the abuse since I'm not really concerned with extending the OCI.

You can certainly try to run any of the oils you listed, but I seriously doubt any of them are going to be a "step up" from M1 0w-40. They're all good oils and should serve you well.

Out of the ones you noted, Redline will probably have the highest HT/HS viscosity, if that's what you're after. Personally, I think HT/HS of M1 is high enough.

I really wish I would have knows about UOAs a few years ago so I could have got a couple of them with the Mobil 1. Now that I'm running 20psi and over 300hp in the hot humid south I definitely will start them.

Last edited:
All the oil's mentioned are very good. I would just change them more frequently due to your engine being modified and these FSI motors are tough on oil to begin with.

Begin with a 3k mile oil change do a oil sample test and go from there.

I won't even go into the valve deposit 504 oil benefit. Why? With your modified car I would stick to the 40w even though they shear.

Enjoy the ride.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
All the oil's mentioned are very good. I would just change them more frequently due to your engine being modified and these FSI motors are tough on oil to begin with.

Begin with a 3k mile oil change do a oil sample test and go from there.

I won't even go into the valve deposit 504 oil benefit. Why? With your modified car I would stick to the 40w even though they shear.

Enjoy the ride.
19.gif

He can run this to mitigate carbon deposits to certain extent:
RL 5W40 Euro

I "asked" to have the intake valves cleaned when the turbo was installed but didn't get any pics and wasn't sure how much really got cleaned. The shop seemed kinda rushed... I've had a BSH racing vent to atmosphere catch can / PCV valve fix installed since around 20k miles so there may not have been a lot to clean.

Yeah the RL 5W40 Euro looks promising. Is it an online only oil as I don't recall seeing any redline products at my parts stores.

I like the idea about trying the 3K OCI. I'm going to go see how many miles is on the Motul now.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Skull
I "asked" to have the intake valves cleaned when the turbo was installed but didn't get any pics and wasn't sure how much really got cleaned. The shop seemed kinda rushed... I've had a BSH racing vent to atmosphere catch can / PCV valve fix installed since around 20k miles so there may not have been a lot to clean.

Yeah the RL 5W40 Euro looks promising. Is it an online only oil as I don't recall seeing any redline products at my parts stores.

I like the idea about trying the 3K OCI. I'm going to go see how many miles is on the Motul now.

If you go with Redline 5W40 Euro, I think you can do 5K easily. Just do UOA on 5K so you are sure TBN is still OK. I have no doubts that RL will stay within the grade after 5K.
Motul is very good oil, but I am personally little bit disappointed in their HTHS of only 3.64 when it comes to Motul 5W40 X-clean.
I the end, if I modified engine like that, I would most definitely go with RL 5W40 Euro or regular 5W40.
If not RL, then I would go with PU 5W40 (HTHS 3.88) or M1 0W40.

use any 3.5 or more HTHS oil and use a big kahuna filter adding 10% additional oil capacity to the system.

Just don't go to crazy on HTHS RL oil tends to be on the heavy side though I'm not sure if this applies to their new formulations.

You have to find a medium. Too heavy will slow your turbo spool of that nice K04.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Just don't go to crazy on HTHS RL oil tends to be on the heavy side though I'm not sure if this applies to their new formulations.

You have to find a medium. Too heavy will slow your turbo spool of that nice K04.

Jeff

^ This.

I used Redline 5w-40 in my wife's Mercedes and when cold starting the motor was incredibly sluggish until fully warmed up. Understand, I like Redline oils and have used them many times over the years, but I agree with Jeff that their 5w-40 would be too thick for your application.

I think their 5w-30 would be ideal.

Scott

Just a WAG, but if you opt for RL, you can probably bump down a little on the Vis. It is most thermally robust of the oils mentioned. Unless the formula has changed since I last used it, perhaps not so good on moisture and fuel dilution, though. We ran RL 10w-30 in our tuned Volvo R per Dave's recommendation, and it was bulletproof.

But the newest M1 0w-40 formula is very good oil, and light enough for decent turbo spool up. If a UOA shows it works, why change?

Don't go too thick, as spool up will start to suffer, which takes all the joy out of it.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

If not RL, then I would go with PU 5W40 . . .

Unless its NOACK has improved, I shy away from these oils in a high-pressure, high stress, uber hot turbo. Did not have good luck the couple times we tried them. Not a protection issue - just too many top-offs over the OCI.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead

If not RL, then I would go with PU 5W40 . . .

Unless its NOACK has improved,

Last TDS that we have for PU 5w-40 shows Noack of 6.8%. What it'll be going forward, I guess we'll have to wait and see. In any case, it will not be higher than 10%. M1 0w-40 is at 8.8%.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
That's good news. I think when we used it, it was substantially higher, and it showed.

Yeah, PU 5W40 is 6.8%, M1 8.8%, while RL I think is at 6%.

Is that the Euro blend or standard RL?

I'm not "super" concerned with spooling as my setup is almost over-responsive, I'm kinda interested to see what difference in spool speed I'd see. I am concerned about preserving the cam lobes the cam follower on the HPFP rides on and the turbo bearings. I'm fine with replacing the cam follower every 15K but I never want to replace that intake cam it rides on.

Oh and thank you all for the wealth of knowledge! Lots of good stuff
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr_Skull

Is that the Euro blend or standard RL?

I'm not "super" concerned with spooling as my setup is almost over-responsive, I'm kinda interested to see what difference in spool speed I'd see. I am concerned about preserving the cam lobes the cam follower on the HPFP rides on and the turbo bearings. I'm fine with replacing the cam follower every 15K but I never want to replace that intake cam it rides on.

Oh and thank you all for the wealth of knowledge! Lots of good stuff
grin.gif

All RL's now have NOACK 6% except 0W40 which is 9%.
I think you might consider in that case RL 0W40. NOACK is still below 10%, but HTHS is 4. HTHS of 5W40, both conventional and Euro is at 4.3.
I would give it a try. See how car is going to behave and do UOA.

Don't overlook the Fuchs Titan GT1 range, some of which were developed in conjunction with Volkswagen. The C3 product meets the highest vw specs.

Regards, lim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back