Recommendations for D-I-Y Tool Chests

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am tired of hauling my automotive tools from the basement to the garage everytime I have a repair/maintenance project. The best solution is a reasonably sized tool chest to contain my tools in the garage. I don't want one of those things that are the size of a commercial refrigerator and require a step ladder to access the top drawer!

Years ago Snap-On was considered the premiere tool chest, with Kennedy and Sears as lower cost solutions for the D-I-Y'er. Too many boxes I see today are monsters priced in excess of $1000, and the $200 stuff at Harbor Freight feels like junk.

Who makes boxes in the middle price range, or makes good quality, reasonably sized, boxes for a fair price? I don't want to fight with the drawers to open them, or have to install a turn-buckle on the back side to keep the box square.

There must be other choices. What are they? Thanks.

Last edited:
You may consider a 3-4 drawer locking tool cart depending on the amount of tools you have to store. Matco has a couple of real nice ones for what I consider a fair price. Nice thing is you can roll the cart next to the work your performing. Big tools can go in the bottom and also be locked in the top.

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2215&select=&page=6
The HD cart is nice. I have 2 of them

Lowes has some pretty nice DIY boxes and costco has the stainless boxes to

Last edited:
I like Taskforce from lowes. It was the best quality versus price when I was shopping for a tool chest I could customize. I have 2 of these.
bottom

And 1 of the box on the top

You can mix and match the pieces to make whatever you like.

The kobalt line is much nicer then the taskforce. It all depends on what your looking to do

I bought the top part of a Snap-On tool chest back in 1970 and it sets on top of my workbench. Not something you just pick up and carry off when it's full of tools, but a nice size for a garage. I like that Matco chest DieselTech posted. That looks real handy.

Craigslist, don't be afraid to drive a little. Some awsome deals can be had. As far as tool boxes go $1000 retail is nothing. Craigslist. serious deals on professional tools.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I bought the top part of a Snap-On tool chest back in 1970 and it sets on top of my workbench. Not something you just pick up and carry off when it's full of tools, but a nice size for a garage. I like that Matco chest DieselTech posted. That looks real handy.

The quality is awesome johnny. Either myself or my techs use them every day. Both are 5 years old and are like new still. Alot of time tools get handed down from gerneration to generation. That cart is something that can be handed down to someones kids or passed on when your gone.

Good tools are hard on the pocket and i admit not everyone needs the highest quality, but when you think about the future and your kids having them and maybe their kids to......it becomes a little more doable. I'm 32 years old and have tools from my father and my grandfather. They are not at the shop or used very often, but I sure do enjoy having them

Got some Snap on chests and a few Craftsman of different sizes. I have broken the small craftsman, thin metal easy to bend. The snap-on is indistructable.

I got just the base cabinet of a set, so that I also use the top as a workbench.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_258180-55738-LW41SS07-BT11_4294857649_4294937087?productId=3028896&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Tool%2BCabinets%2B_4294857649_4294937087_?cm_mmc=search_google-_-Tools%20Brand-_-Tool%20Chests-_-lowes%20tool%20chest

I would look at Kennedy & Craftsman Magnum (made by Waterloo). I have the Kennedy 3901MP for ~ $1k. Used can be a good option as mentioned above.

Have you looked actually looked at the harbor freight stuff? I recently puchased one of their 4 drawer service carts,and can't imagine it not holding up or not being plenty sturdy for diy/home hobby use.In my opinion it's pretty stoutly made. with the 20% off coupon and catching it on sale I got it for 127+ change.For What I do I can't justify spending 700 dollars for a tool cart for home use.
I am however looking at a new set of kd full polish wrenches to replace the "made in india" wrenches I've been using for twenty years.
Hank

Originally Posted By: HankMcMauser
Have you looked actually looked at the harbor freight stuff? I recently puchased one of their 4 drawer service carts,and can't imagine it not holding up or not being plenty sturdy for diy/home hobby use

What about a Sears Crafstman Box? I have had mine for close to 20 years and even with the older 'friction slide' drawers, its held up very well.

Originally Posted By: HankMcMauser
I am however looking at a new set of kd full polish wrenches to replace the "made in india" wrenches I've been using for twenty years.
Hank
Those older 'made in India' wrenches were actually pretty stout!

Plus one on Waterloo and Harbor Freight. The box Chris bought is the best deal on the market if you can use that size combo. Waterloo seems to deliver the best value overall and makes boxes at many price points. They make many, if not all of the Sears sets. If you buy them from a discounter you will be pretty sure you have gotten your money's worth.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Plus one on Waterloo and Harbor Freight. The box Chris bought is the best deal on the market if you can use that size combo. Waterloo seems to deliver the best value overall and makes boxes at many price points. They make many, if not all of the Sears sets. If you buy them from a discounter you will be pretty sure you have gotten your money's worth.

After buying my Craftsman on sale for $599 I believe the Harbor Freight one is very comparable to it in quality, for way less money........

It is such a good deal when on sale I'm tempted to buy one anyway.

The latest flyer from HF has the 41" bottom box for $340.00. You can add a top chest for $300, a 7 drawer side cabinet for $200 and a 42" tall (double height side cabinet with the lower drawers) for $200. I happen to have the top and bottom box with the short 7 drawer side cabinet and they are built very well.

Mine is used as a "home stuff" box in the basement as well as holding most of my reloading supplies. Some of those drawers have over 200 pounds of bullets in them and still work very smooth. They are a VERY good value for the money.

Compared to the Snap-on KRL setup that is upstairs in the garage, you can notice the difference but unless you are a pro wrencher, I doubt that you will ever push these boxes too hard. Unless you are planning to open/shut the drawers hundreds of times a week, they will work fine. If you are planning on using them that much, you need to spend a LOT more on a box and it will have a tool truck name on it or something similar to them from a company like Lista.

Last edited:
hard to beat the "US General" tool boxes from harbor freight. Good prices and they have ball bearing drawers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back