Recommendations for a Honda CR-V, B20Z Inline 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recommend some oil!

1. 2001 Honda CR-V AWD I4. This is a gasoline 2.0L I4 that does NOT have VTEC. My wife purchased it new when she started college and it currently has 94k miles.

2. US Owner's Manual calls for 4 quarts of 5W-30 SJ to be changed every 3,750 miles under severe service and 7,500 miles under normal service.

3. Vehicle resides in Central Nebraska. We see temps down to -10*F in the winter and 100*F in the summer.

4. Vehicle is generally driven pretty calmly. Highway use will see WOT passing. However, this is a buzzy, high-revving engine and normal interstate RPMs are 3K or more.

5. Vehicle is driven once or twice per week and will usually see multiple short trips each day and is driven "in town", about 4 miles round trip per day. On some weekends it will see highway use. Annual mileage is 4,000. No towing. Hauls groceries.

6. Vehicle consumes no noticeable amount of oil and has been virtually problem-free. A paragon of reliability.

I have used Valvoline MaxLife Semi-Synthetic 5W-30 and PureOne filters for the past 20K miles with a 5K mile OCI.

Given the cold starts in the winter, I'd like to move to a 0W. Starts below 20*F have always sounded labored, probably a combination of the cold oil, cold battery, and small battery.

I want something that is friendly towards high-revving four cylinder engines that may operate at 3K RPM for two hours at a time.

I'm not concerned with fuel economy or extended OCIs. I'd like to keep the cost around $5/qt or less. Bonus points if I can source it from Amazon or Wal-Mart.

Given the low use the vehicle sees, I'd like something that will work year-round.

I would run whatever 5w30 semi-syn (or even 0w30) is on sale at the time, and change it every year in the spring. That motor is not particular about its oil.

Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 comes to mind. If you wait until it's on sale, you can grab it pretty cheap with a filter.

I've had several of the B20's. It will last no matter what you put in it! In all seriousness use a good quality syn 5w30 and change it yearly, you'll be just fine!

Those engines have soft valve seats. Make sure you adjust the valves as they will get tight and burn valves.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Those engines have soft valve seats. Make sure you adjust the valves as they will get tight and burn valves.

+1, good advice!

Maybe look into a battery warmer and a engine block heater. The oem part is pretty cheap.

I have a B18 engine in my Acura and we routinely see the same temperatures you described. I usually changed it between 4-5k with any conventional or synthetic that was on sale. Kool1 is right about having the valves adjusted on these engines.

Originally Posted By: Kool1

One step ahead of you.
smile.gif

I adjusted the valves about 9K miles ago. All were within spec and only about 25% of them were close to being too tight and were adjusted.

That was done as a general "tune up" with new plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, valve cover gasket, and fluids. With the valve cover off, everything looked to be great with no sludge anywhere, just a mild golden sheen.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I would run whatever 5w30 semi-syn (or even 0w30) is on sale at the time, and change it every year in the spring. That motor is not particular about its oil.

Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 comes to mind. If you wait until it's on sale, you can grab it pretty cheap with a filter.

+1. Or PP 5w30. It will work fine in your climate.

Just try a thinner 5w-30 full syn like Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra. Walmart in 5 quart jugs,about,$25. You could also try a Syn Blend in a non high mileage oil. High Mileage oils are thicker than non high mileage oils. Walmart has lots of oils.

My sister has an original 1997 that is still going despite lackluster BITOG-style maintenance.....and it has lived in VT for the last 3 years. I'd go to either the store with red letters that begins with MEI or the store with blue letters that rhymes with Fallpart and get their syn 5-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back