Recommendation Wanted for Vehicle that Uses Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Get the 6qt havoline box and mount it on the roof like an IV bag.
smile.gif

Now that's funny ...‚

Originally Posted by HemiBenny
In 2007, the JK wrangler with that same engine had a lot of oil consumption issues. I had a 2007, but I was very fortunate as I never experienced this. If I remember correctly, they believe that a ton of these engines that were assembled in Mexico had piston rings installed incorrectly causing oil consumption. They all reported no drivability issues either, just the aggravation of having to keep oil in them, some at a rate similar to yours. I was a member of a JK forum and some continued driving and wheeling them for a long time. I would assume that maybe you're having an issue such as this since it's the exact same engine and none of your mechanics can find anything obvious.
Cheap but quality oil, that's what I would say. The advice about saving for cats and O2 sensors is sound advice if you're keeping the van.

You'e correct. Some of the engines assembled in Mexico had the rings put in upside down IIRC. There is a lot of info on the Internet about it. Assuming the OP has one, nothing is going to help with consumption if the PCV is good and there are no leaks until the ring problem is corrected. A 40 grade oil might slow it a bit. If I were to keep the vehicle I would get a filter like a Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filter and change the filter once a year and keep it full. No need to change the oil. Just get a cheap oil that meets the MS6395 spec and keep the oil level topped up.

Originally Posted by andyd
So in 10 wks, the engine has 5 qts of top off, Forget oil changes , just top off. change the filter whenever.. or not Hve you tried 10w30? cheapest you can find, This is clunker management, not maintenance.

What this ^^^^ guy said.

The goal here is to keep the thug on the road a little while longer and maybe stretch this thing to 200,000 miles.

You put a heavier weight conventional in it and maybe just change that filter every 5,000 miles or so. You don't bother changing that oil, you're already doing that every week. You took good care of the van with synthetic oil changes and short intervals and this is the way it relayed you (huge oil consumption before 200,000 miles). So now you turn the table on it and squeak on the next 25,000 miles doing the bare bare minimum...then you either trade it in or ship it to the junk yard. It'll be a 12-13 year old van at that point, with 200,000 miles on it. Mission accomplished.

Use the highest weight oil you can run and still crank it in the winter.i remember in the 90s my dad had a caravan that burned so much oil it doubled as a mosquito sprayer. Blue cloud behind it always. We'd add two bottles of "motor honey" to it to get it to use only a quart a month. Good luck.

Originally Posted by slug_bug
My 2007 GC oil burner with the 3.8 just died at 188K. It burned a quart a month and I had started doing oil change at 20k with Fram Ultra filters. I figured since I was refreshing with a new quart every month I didn't need to change the oil too often. Guess I was wrong. It threw a CEL and started running rough. Shop said cylinder four had low compression (47lbs?). The van is rusting badly, so, off to the boneyard. Hope you have better luck with yours!

I had a 2005 Chrysler van with the 3.8L. Similar instance where all of a sudden the engine ran rough. One shop told me a cylinder had low compression, and in that mechanic's opinion the engine was shot. He'd seen it many times with the 3.8L engine. Went for a second opinion. One injector and all spark plugs were replaced and the engine ran great for another 100,000 miles. It was still running fine (although still using oil) at 260,000 miles when undercarriage rust had progressed to the point where the van was no longer safe to operate (salted winter roads).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back