Recommendation for a high-quality oil extractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to use an oil extractor for my oil changes from now on and I was wondering if someone could recommend a reliable, well-built brand for me? I do see lots of areas for design flaws in these things, so I don't want to cut corners here...thanx for nay help!!

Well I have an expensive model I bought and used in UK a couple of years ago. It is powered by my air compressor, I used it 3 or 4 times and never use it now nor intend to. It was slow to use and I found it clumsy. Normal drain plug for me now.
Roger

Quote:

Gravity extracts oil pretty well IMHO

i agree completely.

Hopefully you aren't capable of crawling under the vehicle anymore and that is why you need the extractor, otherwise I would feel bad for making fun. If that is the case, kudos to you for still wanting to change your own oil.

Is your filter easily accessable from the top of the engine bay?

PELA Pro works very well and is solidly built. I just sold one here on BITOG FOR SALE SECTION last week
smile.gif

Quote:

I'm looking to use an oil extractor for my oil changes from now on and I was wondering if someone could recommend a reliable, well-built brand for me? I do see lots of areas for design flaws in these things, so I don't want to cut corners here...thanx for nay help!!

Mityvac makes some nice ones

I got a topsider it was ----.. and was missing parts.. but they shipped them fast when i called them.

still leaks vacuum
frown.gif

dang no edit button still?

anyway I just wanted to add..

i use it for transmission with no drain plug not
motor oil :p

Mityvac or Pela are both very good.

Griot's garage sells a 6l. Pela but its kinda pricy. I got one from them as a Christmas gift almost 10 years ago. Use it about once a month for a variety of things and its still going strong.

I've used my Motive extractor about a dozen times in the last 4 months and it seems to work well.

My one gripe is that a unit that would work under greater pressure would be better for cold fluids. The Motive manual says to not go beyond about 10 psi, which is plenty for hot fluids, but slow when cold.

My Mityvac has become a PITA. Just got it, used it once and now it backs up the tranny fluid through the vent under the handle! Nice little mess to clean up.
frown.gif

I am very pleased with my mityvac. It "sucks and blows" making it easy to dispense the oil once it's in the extractor. Plus there are vacuum brake bleeding attachments available.

Here is a picture of it beside my modest stash of a year ago.

IMG_1309.jpg

Quote:

I got a topsider it was ----.. and was missing parts.. but they shipped them fast when i called them.

still leaks vacuum
frown.gif

Rand, I bought a Topsider back in 2004. The only time I've had trouble was when I hadn't used it in a while, and the leather seals within the big bicycle pump tube dried out a bit. Don't make the mistake I made and use electrical cleaning fluid to grease it; it'll let the seals slide too easily. Put some heavy-weight engine oil down the tube, let it trickle down, and then work the pump.

I can't use it any more to drain engine oil; my Buick's 3.8 engine isn't designed for it. But I can use it to drain power steering and transmission fluid!

Originally Posted By: Donald
You can look at Westmarine or Boat USA as oil extractors are used by many with boats as you cannot get the oil drain plug off (no room).

FYI, There is no oil drain plug on my GM 7.4L Merc engines. Years 2000 and 1994 and 1990. You have to pump it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back