Recommendation for 2006 hyundai sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 2006 sonata just hit 200,000 miles. I have been using mobil 1 5w20 all it's life.

Would you recommend going to high milage oils? The car does not burn oil at all but I need her to last a few more years.

I'd probably do ONE oil change with Mobil 1 High Mileage oil to help condition the seals. Then go back to what you've been using. That way you're not trying to fix a possible issue down the road. Welcome and post a picture if you can so we can see what she looks like with 200k miles.

Stick with what your doing! I hope our 07 Sonata gets to that mileage too! What oil filters are you using?

Originally Posted By: bigt61
If it doesn't use oil, I wouldn't change a thing.

Nothing more to add to this.

Originally Posted By: gixxersix04
Fram filters mostly. Sorry I should mention sonata is a 3.3 liter v6.

That's a good motor, watch for leaky valve cover gaskets and mysterious coolant smells! The valve covers on those leak oil on to the alternator and Hyundai OE radiator caps tend to weep coolant slowly when they go bad. But your through 200k miles so you have everything under control!

Last edited:
Now that you mention it car does use bit of coolant lately. I can't see any leaks but will keep an eye out for it.

Now that you mention it car does use bit of coolant lately. I can't see any leaks but will keep an eye out for it.

How are the valve cover gaskets holding up? Darn leak goes right on to the alternator and frys it if you don't catch it! Had a 2009 Santa Fe do that. Twist off the radiator cap and see if coolant has caked up around where the cap seals to the top of the radiator.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
Twist off the radiator cap and see if coolant has caked up around where the cap seals to the top of the radiator.

Then what? Plop on a new radiator cap?

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: wymi516
Twist off the radiator cap and see if coolant has caked up around where the cap seals to the top of the radiator.

Then what? Plop on a new radiator cap?

Yep! It was just the slightest amount of coolant loss. I could smell it but I couldn't see it. New cap and smell is gone.

Gregk24,

The vehicle has been most trouble free vehicle I have owned. No mechanical issues to speak of. Other than few recalls for little stuff.

The car convinced me to go buy my turbo Sonata. Lol

Gregk24,

The vehicle has been most trouble free vehicle I have owned. No mechanical issues to speak of. Other than few recalls for little stuff.

The car convinced me to go buy my turbo Sonata. Lol

Same here, our 07 Sonata 2.4L has surpassed our 1998 Honda Civic as the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned. I will add that our Sonata with Michelin Pilot Exalto V rated tires is completely unstoppable in any kind of weather. My Daughter now drives the Sonata to class every day and with only 80k miles I expect many more trouble free miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back