recommendation ATF for worn out clutch pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go with Maxlife, and drive it in 3rd as much as possible to avoid unnessary 3-4 shifts.
It might not be worn out clutches because the 3-4 accumulator is prone to wearing and leaking.

The only real fix is to replace the worn mechanical components.

I suppose you can try Type F, but the shifts will be hard.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I'm putting my flame suit on but Lucas Trans fix/Stop slip stuff works miracles in worn autos. I've personally had success with it many times, it won't fix anything but it will buy you time...

Just don't try to pour it in when its cold! That is some thick stuff!!!

I've used Lucas in a 2000 Accord a friend was unloading, it was also one of the bad Honda trannies as well.

The 4L60E had many fixes but many of those still in service are in things that aren't really worth keeping unless it has sentimental value to you. I say try using some Type-F or B&M Trick Shift(supposedly the same as Type-F) or some Lucas. There might be some PCM/ECU controlled shifting in an 4L60E, but it's not a flex-lockup/slip controlled unit that needs HFM-type fluids.

If it were me and/or if the truck is worth something to you, I'd rebuild the tranny with a new sun shell(a common weak point with the 4L60E), new clutches, Corvette servo and a TransGo/Sonnax shift kit.

Yeah going more FM (additives) and/or lower vis (Dex6) for a worn 4 speed might be going in the wrong direction. Firm positive shifts = lower clutch wear and with none to spare, might be worth living with. I'd try maybe 50/50 generic DIII/M mixed with Type F to bring visc up and FM down. Drastically altering the viscosity might also be a bad idea, but I have no experience with heavy brightstock products in ATs

so I performed a complete flush with filter + gasket + Total (fully synthetic dexron VI compatible) + conditioner (Quick booster super 500ml)

and the RESULTS:

total improvement in shifting, much smoother shifting in fact almost perfect. I am amazed at the results.

Someone mentioned driving in 3rd. I do this almost all the time in the company truck I drive for the survey company I work at. It's an 05 Silverado 4.8 4wd with way too much weight in the back. The way it's geared if I leave it in overdrive it's constantly downshifting on every little hill. I figure I'm buying lots of time leaving it in 3rd. It has about 180k on it but has never had a fluid change AFAIK. Still shifts fine.

Originally Posted By: tookien
so I performed a complete flush with filter + gasket + Total (fully synthetic dexron VI compatible) + conditioner (Quick booster super 500ml)

and the RESULTS:

total improvement in shifting, much smoother shifting in fact almost perfect. I am amazed at the results.

I have never heard of those products, but I'm glad they worked for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back