Recommend me a good but free stitching software

I have some legal size documents to scan and save but my HP multipurpose printer/scanner bed is only 11 3/4 inches long. It saves scanned documents to a jpeg format by default. I thought I'd do 2 passes to get the whole document scanned, then stitch the two pieces together. Any good, free recommendations?

If you're scanning documents (presuming mostly black & white; mostly text) and then editing them I would strongly suggest not using .jpeg, which is a lossy compression that works wonders on colourful photographs when file size if a critical factor, but is probably not the most appropriate choice here. If .png is an option I would choose that.

Software for making a collage (I've always understood the term "stitch" to relate to combing panoramic photographs with a faux-3D element to the process) shouldn't be hard to find - That's a very simply process that only requires the application to support layers. I am presuming you're on Windows. Fotografix is available bundled as a "portable app" at this site so you don't even have to install it in order to use it.

Back