Recommend an oil: 2016 BMW N57 Diesel 0W-30/40

I'm the new owner of a used 2016 BMW 535d with the N57 Diesel straight six engine (N57D30O1, same as the 530d sold outside of North America). The car calls for 0W-30 LL04 oil. It has a DPF with urea injection.

It's time for an oil change and I can't seem to find any LL04 oils locally (Ottawa, Canada). It gets very cold here and I would like to stick with a 0W-30/40 if possible.

I've done some searching. Is Mobil 1 0W-30 ESP OK to use in this engine? It doesn't (any longer?) carry the LL04 certification. M1 0W-40, same issue?

Is there an equivalent spec I should look for instead of LL04 (ACEA C3, Porsche C30, MB???) or a newer BMW spec that covers LL04 requirements? There doesn't seem to be a consensus, and buying oil at the dealer is likely way too $$$. I want to get as much life out of the DPF as possible.

I've used mainly M1 5W-30/0W-40 and TGMO 0W-20 in my vehicles, but this is the first time I've owned a diesel and I'm concerned about damaging the DPF if using the incorrect oil. Suggestions welcomed!

Mobil 1 0W-40 is hard to beat if you can live without the LL04 - or Mobil1 15W-50 if you're a 'thickie' like me!

- If not:

Attachments

• BMW LL-04 Approved Oils.pdf
    675.1 KB · Views: 317
I believe LL-17FE is the slightly thinner version of LL04 but just call your dealer and see what they're using. It'll be a 0w30.

Don't assume dealer oil is too expensive. In the US dealer oil is competitive unless you're a hoarder who waits to buy as much as possible at basement prices.

MB229.51, VW504/507/C30 are alternative specs but BMW increased the oxidation requirements and added a new timing chain test so if you want the latest buy from dealer or any LL04.

Shell offers Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 in LL04.

Last edited:
I'm the new owner of a used 2016 BMW 535d with the N57 Diesel straight six engine (N57D30O1, same as the 530d sold outside of North America). The car calls for 0W-30 LL04 oil. It has a DPF with urea injection.

It's time for an oil change and I can't seem to find any LL04 oils locally (Ottawa, Canada). It gets very cold here and I would like to stick with a 0W-30/40 if possible.

I've done some searching. Is Mobil 1 0W-30 ESP OK to use in this engine? It doesn't (any longer?) carry the LL04 certification. M1 0W-40, same issue?

Is there an equivalent spec I should look for instead of LL04 (ACEA C3, Porsche C30, MB???) or a newer BMW spec that covers LL04 requirements? There doesn't seem to be a consensus, and buying oil at the dealer is likely way too $$$. I want to get as much life out of the DPF as possible.

I've used mainly M1 5W-30/0W-40 and TGMO 0W-20 in my vehicles, but this is the first time I've owned a diesel and I'm concerned about damaging the DPF if using the incorrect oil. Suggestions welcomed!
Any oil that has MB229.51/229.52, VW504.00/507.00, Porsche C30 if you cannot find one with LL04. Mobil1 ESP 0W30 will do it, as well as ESP 5W30.
Here is excellent 0W30 oil:

You will be fine with 5W30 oils too, and this one is excellent one:

Mobil 1 0W-40 is hard to beat if you can live without the LL04
But, I thought I said...
The OP's car is a diesel with after treatment.
NO, NO, NO! It has DPF!
Thanks for the LL04 list, though! :)

I believe LL-17FE is the slightly thinner version of LL04 but just call your dealer and see what they're using. It'll be a 0w30.

Don't assume dealer oil is too expensive. In the US dealer oil is competitive unless you're a hoarder who waits to buy as much as possible at basement prices.

MB229.51, VW504/507/C30 are alternative specs but BMW increased the oxidation requirements and added a new timing chain test so if you want the latest buy from dealer or any LL04.
Any oil that has MB229.51/229.52, VW504.00/507.00, Porsche C30 if you cannot find one with LL04. Mobil1 ESP 0W30 will do it, as well as ESP 5W30.
Excellent info, thanks! I guess I should call the dealer just to get a price, but I'm now armed with some alternatives should I feel compelled to look for some sales. Since I waited until I actually needed an oil change before doing my research I'm likely stuck paying full price for oil this time around, but next time I'll be better equipped. At least RockAuto ships Mann N57 oil filters to Canada cheap! :)

But, I thought I said...

Thanks for the LL04 list, though! :)

Excellent info, thanks! I guess I should call the dealer just to get a price, but I'm now armed with some alternatives should I feel compelled to look for some sales. Since I waited until I actually needed an oil change before doing my research I'm likely stuck paying full price for oil this time around, but next time I'll be better equipped. At least RockAuto ships Mann N57 oil filters to Canada cheap! :)
Do not go LL17FE. It is 0W20 oil. Go LL04 or oils having those approvals from other manufacturers. If BMW sells 5w30 LL04 oil, get it. It is excellent oil.

ohh that's right..It's LL-12FE which is the 0w30
Very interesting... according to BMW this LL-12FE is only to be used for specific applications:

"Suitable for BMW diesel engines from model year 2014 with the designation 14d, 16d, 18d, 20d and 30d (exception: F3x 30d from model year 2019). For engines with the designation 25d, 35d, 40d and 50d, engine oils with BMW Longlife-04 specification must be used!"

My car is a 2016, but the engine is fundamentally unchanged (as far as I'm aware) since it launched in 2012. My car is also a 35d (535d model, assuming that's what they're talking about), but everywhere else in the world it's a 30d (530d).

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the LL-12FE is not intended for my engine. Heck, BMW Canada even used an exclamation point to drive home their message so they MUST be serious! LOL

EDIT: What is WLTP???

Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Procedure. Don't worry about it...

Find that Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX stuff at your local Canadian Tire and you're done.

Very interesting... according to BMW this LL-12FE is only to be used for specific applications:

"Suitable for BMW diesel engines from model year 2014 with the designation 14d, 16d, 18d, 20d and 30d (exception: F3x 30d from model year 2019). For engines with the designation 25d, 35d, 40d and 50d, engine oils with BMW Longlife-04 specification must be used!"

My car is a 2016, but the engine is fundamentally unchanged (as far as I'm aware) since it launched in 2012. My car is also a 35d (535d model, assuming that's what they're talking about), but everywhere else in the world it's a 30d (530d).

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the LL-12FE is not intended for my engine. Heck, BMW Canada even used an exclamation point to drive home their message so they MUST be serious! LOL

They're talking about the number of turbos. LL-12FE is only suitable for single turbo diesels. Just give the dealer your VIN and they'll tell you what BMWNA has saw fit to fill your vehicle with.

This is a slightly older official BMW document than I want to use but if you have the N57D30O1 LL-12FE is compatible. Dealer would know for sure.

BMW Oil Spec per engine type Gas or Diesel

Don't complicate. Use LL04 or oils that have MB229.51/52.

Best and easiest option for you is Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30, available at Canadian Tire for about $32 per jug on sale. They also have Quaker State and Motomaster versions of the same oil in a different bottle. This oil carries LL04.

ESP is also a great option but much harder to find in 0w30.

Last edited:
Best and easiest option for you is Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30, available at Canadian Tire for about $32 per jug on sale. They also have Quaker State and Motomaster versions of the same oil in a different bottle. This oil carries LL04.

ESP is also a great option but much harder to find in 0w30.
Personally I’d skip that in favor of M1-ESP or Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5W-30 because they’re both lower in viscosity modifiers.

As has been mentioned in other threads, that Pennzoil EuroLX 0W-30 has a VI of 204, which is a strong indicator of high VM content.

Id prefer an oil with low VM content, especially for a turbocharged engine.

Personally I’d skip that in favor of M1-ESP or Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5W-30 because they’re both lower in viscosity modifiers.

As has been mentioned in other threads, that Pennzoil EuroLX 0W-30 has a VI of 204, which is a strong indicator of high VM content.

Id prefer an oil with low VM content, especially for a turbocharged engine.

I can't find the viscosity index on 0w30 ESP but the spread is not that far off the Pennzoil. The Pennzoil is 59 @ 40C and 11.9 @ 100C. The Mobil is 63 and 12.0. So it's not a massive difference.

Motul is 5w30 only so that won't work for the OP's wishes.

Back