Recommend a thick 10w-30

My engine calls for 10w-30, and that’s all I use. It is a turbocharged performance car from the 90s, with no emissions. Mainly an auto cross toy, but I do drive it to events. So I have never looked at actual racing oils.

I’ve just used Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30. It shears out of the 30 weight range pretty quickly, and my valvetrain will also get noisy within 1,500 miles. It does see hard use, and I should probably be looking into a better oil more suited for a car that is seeing mainly abuse.

Any recommendations for something that holds a 30 weight better, or is on the thicker side of the 30 weight range?

Are you sure it is shear and not just fuel dilution? That's pretty common with forced induction engines as the tunes tend to be a bit rich. I'd probably step up to an xW-40 or go with a heavier 5w-30/10w-30 like something from Redline.

Are you sure it is shear and not just fuel dilution? That's pretty common with forced induction engines as the tunes tend to be a bit rich. I'd probably step up to an xW-40 or go with a heavier 5w-30/10w-30 like something from Redline.

You’re correct. Slight dilution, but nothing scary. Redline I would need to order, and prefer something I can just find at a local store.

The people I race with, have recommend diesel oils. Not sure I feel comfortable with that.

Hdeo would probably work fine. Also m1 or castrol 0w40 from Walmart would be good choices.

I would say Total quartz 9000 energy 0w30. 3.5mpas hths viscosity. Or any other xw30 meeting ACEA A3/B4. 0W is preferred for the higher synthetic component if you haven't a clue about other specs like Noack or flash point which are also an indication of base oil viscosity.

You’re correct. Slight dilution, but nothing scary. Redline I would need to order, and prefer something I can just find at a local store.

The people I race with, have recommend diesel oils. Not sure I feel comfortable with that.
What lab did you use? Just asking because if it was Blackstone, it's probably way off.

Those people are making a pretty safe recommendation, HDEO's are quite popular in high performance applications and have proven to perform quite well.

I don’t know why you want to stick with a 10/30, just go to one of the Euro A3/B4 oils in a 0/40 or 5/40 and be done with it. I used Castrol 0W40 in my track Civic Si that called for 5W30 and it loved it.

Back