recommend a good dino for reman engine break in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a good, quality dino in 10w30 flavor for the first 5K of my "new" remanufactured engine break in. Engine is an inline 6, 4.0 in my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Will do changes at 300 miles and 2,000 miles. at 5,000 miles going to synthetic. Any recommendations?

You might consider going sooner to synthetic. Here is what Amsoil says on their website:

AMSOIL and Break In on New and Rebuilt Engines

Q. I heard that new cars require a break in period with petroleum before you switch them to synthetic. How long should this break in period be?

A. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil can be used during break-in trouble free. In fact, vehicles such as Dodge Viper and Chevrolet Corvette come factory filled with synthetic oil.

Since most new vehicles come filled with petroleum oil, it only makes good sense to change to AMSOIL at the first scheduled oil change interval. New engine components generate high levels of wear metals and can contain contaminants from assembly. By allowing the engine to operate with the petroleum oil until the first oil/filter change interval, the wear metals and contaminants are removed prior to installing AMSOIL.

I would recommend Pennzoil Dino, in the yellow bottle. Probably the best dino that you can get anywhere you go. Just go down the China-Mart and they will have it. Advanced Auto has a sale on it right now for $1.99 a quart, can't beat that.

I'm going to get to 5K on dino per instructions of the company that remanufactured the engine. AFter that I have a stash of havoline 10w30 snythetic I'd like to use up before buying any new stuff.

I broke my rebuilt engine in on dino oil. I don't doubt that you can break in a motor on synthetic but I never would simply because I like to do a couple real short OCIs to drain out whatever wear metals, sealants etc. that are in the oil. Why pay big $$$ to use it as a rinse? I'd grab up whatever decent name brand oil in the right viscosity thats on sale. I'd go cheap on the first couple filters and change them out with every OCI as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back