Recomended oil viscosity for VW 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reasons I ask are:
1) The owners manual does not have a weight recomendation, just a 10K interval. I think it does give a API grade, but no viscosity.

2) This car is a 98 Beetle with the 2.0 I4. It has had very infrequent oil changes (at least one 33K OCI that my GF will confess to) and I'm running the first of 2 ARX treatments now with 5w-30 dino.

Does anyone know what the recommended viscosity for this engine is? I'm also thinking I should go one weight higher because of the massive amount of wear that has probably occured. What do you gusy think?

With the European engines, they typically specify any 30 or 40-weight oil.

After completing your ARX runs, my pick would be the $12/gallon Rotella-T synthetic 5w-40...great startup flow, but a little thicker protection, and more detergents/dispersents that could help out a lot in an engine like this...just my two cents
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
Reasons I ask are:
1) The owners manual does not have a weight recomendation, just a 10K interval.

In the owner's manual of my gf's '01 Jetta 2.0 it states that the recommended oil grade is 5w-40, although looking at the little sticker on the windshield, her VW dealer uses a 5w-30 :-( I think the manual allows the 5w-30 as well if 5w-40 is not available. She has it changed every 5K miles.

2nd vote for Rotella T Synth 5w-40. SynPower and Kendall have 5w-40 synths at a higher price and they are not intended for extended drains. Harder to get than Rotella, although NAPA produced 2 cases of SynPower for me in a few days. Rotella currently in Mom's heated garage 2.0 Passat for once-a-year changes. Fill and forget. BTW Wal*Mart has the Rotella, $3q. Mobil 1 30 weights are too thin and you don't need some exotic imported oil for a non-turbo 2.0 Beetle. Forget the 2nd ARX until you are at the end of the next change, add it 1000 miles before change at the earliest, if at all.
BTW- most VW/Audi manuals say not extended high-speed operation on 5w-30. I am sure M1 5w-30 would be fine, but that rules out nearly every other 5w-30s inc synths except...all Castrol Syntec meets ACEA A5, a full-bodied 5w-30, heavier than M1 30 weights and Syntec 10w-40 meets ACEA A3 if consumption is a problem, like on many 2.0s.

[ October 07, 2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

I run a German Performance shop in NYC. The 2.0s in the VWs prefer oils on the heavier side. On the older 2.0s (pre-99), I prefer 10-40. On the newer ones, 5-40 is your best best.0w-40 M1 for extended drain intervals is easiest to find.....

I'm also thinking I should go one weight higher because of the massive amount of wear that has probably occured.
I agree 100%!

Tyrolkid is correct. The older VW 2.0L motors usually do better with a thicker oil. I would suggest a synthetic 40 wt oil. A conventional 10W-40 would also be OK. An oil change schedule of every 7,500 miles would be better than the 10,000 miles that VW recommends.

[ October 08, 2003, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Thanks for all the good advise!

I had a hunch that Xw-40 would be recomended, but wanted to hear it from the experts. I'll be running either Delo or Delvac 1300 for the rinse cycle and then either stay with Delo or go with the Rotella for 5 or 6k intervals. The car is no longer used everyday and when it is, the trips are short. So OCI of twice or three times a year will work out good.

Thanks again!

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
Thanks for all the good advise!

I'll be running either Delo or Delvac 1300 for the rinse cycle and then either stay with Delo or go with the Rotella for 5 or 6k intervals.

If Pscholte is the German Castrol guy, I'm the heavy-duty engine oil guy...
grin.gif

If your going with a 15w-40, may I suggest Pennzoil Long-Life? I switched from Delo to this oil and having just had it in for two days, I've noticed easier cold starts.

I really like it's additive package...contains a good dose of molybdenum where Delo has none.

BTW, I still think Delo is a great (if not the best choice) for a diesel engine, but when running mixed-fleet oils in gas engines, I really like the addition of some good 'ol friction-modifiers...

[ October 08, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Anything from a 0w-30 to 15w-40 will work fine, provided it meets VW 502/505 or ACEA A3/B3.

Tooslick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back