recent weed eater buyers-- i need one

I also have my muffler opened up.

Drilled a hole and also opened up the baffle inside the muffler, which was about the same size as the pellet shooter outlet of the muffler.

muffler.jpg

IMG_20210421_180948655.jpg

The US version of the muffler does not have that round pea shooter outlet, but a hole like the one I drilled (but smaller) and a deflector like I have. I just drilled a hole where the US version has it, but larger and then opened up the baffle inside the muffler.

US version:

1657842752467.jpg

Tried and true HP extraction method 101 right there. ESPECIALLY small Na mills.

1. Let it breath and blow better
Yup, it will definitely help with throttle response. My only caution is to not do it on engines with no carb adjustment screws. A lot of the newer 2-stroke engines have fixed carb settings for emissions, and opening the exhaust up can cause them to run funny and erratic.

Tried and true HP extraction method 101 right there. ESPECIALLY small Na mills.

1. Let it breath and blow better

yep! Both of my saws I mainly use have been woods ported by a guy called treemonkey on the forestry forums. He's been doing it for loggers for many, many years. He opens up the mufflers, increases the compression and changes both the intake/exhaust port timing and also ignition timing. He actually put finger ports in my 346XP and a slightly larger carb in it off a Husky 359. Both saws run fantastic and it makes so much difference over stock. Throttle response is insane. I've had them now for 10 years or so. 346XP NE and a 390XP.

Last edited:
I’m curious what the OP decided to go with. I went with a Stihl FS56-RC. It is amazing I used to hate weed eating now I love it. Starts up on the first pull every time. Best $200 some dollars I ever spent. I’m honestly surprised that it’s not considered a professional grade trimmer but it is considered the highest homeowner trimmer. And it’s not a joke like the Milwaukee one was. Plus it’s gas powered so I’ll have lots of fun doing maintenance and it’s not boring like batteries. Warranty is also great 4 years instead of 2 because I bought their fuel mix.

I have a Black and Decker GH3000 that spins one string of .080” at one speed fine but it is limited to where you can plug it on and has the power for basic trimming of grass.

I then got an 80v Brushless Greenworks because it has the most volts and it’s a bit heavy and doesn’t spin the head super fast, but it has granular power control and gets the job done. It swings .095l line fine.

Lastly I just got a free, used Honda HHT25SlTAT with low hours. It ran like poo, but changing the gas fixed it completely. It’s got the speed of the Greenworks at half to 3/4 power, and a LOT of torque at high throttle.

I have 3 Echo machines ranging in age from15-25 years old all have been reliable & those catalytic mufflers do make them smoke a lot less, meaning hardly at all! My Husky chain saw which is newer smokes a lot more even using the same 2 stroke mix,

Parts are easy to find which is a plus. I replaced the coil on the blower (25 yrs old) and the wacker (20 years old) and the carb on the blower.

Last edited:
That model Stihl has a larger engine than the 25.4cc that Echo uses in all their mid-tier trimmers / blowers. I've noticed that Echo no longer publishes engine power in their specs. It used to be 1.35bhp in that engine vs. the Stihl's 1.27 in their 28.4cc engine.

I've owned both brands and don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Recently bought these. Very happy with them. They do need to warm up though before you can give em full beans but that's ok. I'm not doing this for a living. I just want good stuff. I even installed hourmeters on them. I'm curious how much I use them and how long they'll last. If someone were to ask me how many hours are on anything I would have no idea.

Attachments

• 20230810_215103.jpg
    20230810_215103.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230810_215044.jpg
    20230810_215044.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230810_215052.jpg
    20230810_215052.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 9
I have 3 Echo machines ranging in age from15-25 years old all have been reliable & those catalytic mufflers do make them smoke a lot less, meaning hardly at all! My Husky chain saw which is newer smokes a lot more even using the same 2 stroke mix,

Parts are easy to find which is a plus. I replaced the coil on the blower (25 yrs old) and the wacker (20 years old) and the carb on the blower.
Never knew the mufflers were catalytic. Can confirm that the smoke is minimal tho.

Back