recent weed eater buyers-- i need one

looking at weed eaters (straigh shaft-no attachment) and can't decide. considering stihl, echo, husqvarna, EGO, or really anything. my concern is many recent reviews of these seems to indicate a recent decline in quality-(have a 40 yr old stihl saw) --so, i'd like to hear from people who have purchase a weed eater within the last year or 2 and their feedback. or do i just go the "disposable" route and get a $150 or less trimmer. any help would be appreciated

I had a craftsman straight shaft, thing can really put up some good abuse.

Stopped working after I put acetone in it.

Maruyama B30L is the Toyota Hilux of a string trimmers. I also really enjoy the Stihl FS94R but it has to have the Speedfeed head and the guard removed.

For both trimmers the Darwin's grip is mandatory.

Edited to add that the above mentioned trimmers do not have a catalytic converter mufflers that makes the trimmers get too hot like Husqvarna and Echo.

Last edited:
Don’t get a Milwaukee we didn’t like it. Returned it and going to get another gas powered one. It felt underpowered on the high setting and got very hot and the string part at the end had issue where it would pull one side in when you would tap it. I’d recommend Stihl or Echo. Last year we bought a Homelite because my dad recognized the name from the 80s or 90s and the quality has sunk on them he said because they used to be top. The fuel line busted on it and leaked fuel everywhere. And the Torch spark plug too which is not a strong point.

If you just need a general trimmer for residential use, Echos are hard to beat-- decent price and way better quality than what you'll find from all the sold-out-to-China brands, like Troy Bilt, Ryobi, etc. I bought an SRM-225 at first and it would have been fine if I didn't have 2 acres and the need to clear out tall/thick stuff from time to time. It just didn't have the power I needed, but would be completely fine for normal trimming. I moved up to the SRM-266 and have been completely happy with it; have had it for maybe 4 years now and it's 100% reliable.

I later added a Stihl FS131R 4-stroke (bought in 2020). It has way more power than the Echo SRM-266, and has usable power right past idle, whereas the 2-stroke Echo needs a good amount of RPM to do its work. The Stihl makes quicker work of clearing out heavy/overgrown weeds and brush, but it wasn't an essential purchase, the Echo SRM-266 was fine for the job (and over $100 cheaper), just takes a bit longer.

I have zero complaints with the Stihl or Echo units I own, both are fine machines and have given me no trouble. Before I bought those brands, I can't tell you how many Troy-Bilts, Remington, etc. that have lasted me a year or two (even with repairs!) then thrown in the garbage. I've lost count.

Last edited:
The best is from a little known Japanese brand that doesn't have widespread USA distribution.

Maruyama.

Everything is done better. Take a look how the engine head is mounted to the shaft. See that on other brands? The drive shaft is a 7mm solid shaft of steal. What do other brands use? Walbro carb. Water proof on/off switch. EPA 300 hour rating.

The second link shows how durable they make both ends.

my1.JPG
my3.JPG

My son gave me a new Craftsman 4 cycle trimmer. It's nice that you don't have to mix gas and oil, but my only complaint is that it's heavy. It comes with a harness that you loop over your shoulder, because you'll need it. After 15 minutes of use, I'm about ready to toss it out. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't make it lighter. Other than that , it starts easy, has a movable shaft to put the trimmer in different positions for edging, and isn't bad on gas. And isn't obnoxiously load. if I recall right, it holds 3.2 oz's of straight 30 wt oil. Unless your looking to get your weight training in for the day, I'd look for a lighter weight model trimmer.,,,

looking at weed eaters (straigh shaft-no attachment) and can't decide. considering stihl, echo, husqvarna, EGO, or really anything. my concern is many recent reviews of these seems to indicate a recent decline in quality-(have a 40 yr old stihl saw) --so, i'd like to hear from people who have purchase a weed eater within the last year or 2 and their feedback. or do i just go the "disposable" route and get a $150 or less trimmer. any help would be appreciated

I got a Stihl FS56 C-E several years ago. It has bicycle handlebars and a nice shoulder strap. I bought the option brush cutter blade, and it can handle brush up to 1" thick. It's a beast.

I recently bought 2 for a fenced in 1.5 acre property and a yard in the middle. Requires walking both sides.

A Stihl FS-70
A Makita 36V powerhead with the trimmer attachment.

I get super service for both brands with local shops. Stihl shop is walking distance for me.

IMG_2578 (1).jpeg

My Echo has been excellent. It's a well-built machine, reasonably priced, and very reliable. This is my 3rd year and it runs like brand new. That would be my recommendation.

Same experience here. Old Echo SRM2400 lasted about 20 years and had no issues. Routine plug changes was all I ever did. Replaced with a SRM2620 IIRC 3 seasons ago. Figured out it was sensitive to oil/fuel ratio. I often add too much oil (go figure!!) and it struggles to start. Back to book ratio and easy to start.

Plenty of power and easy to add line to the head and quick at that.

My son gave me a new Craftsman 4 cycle trimmer. It's nice that you don't have to mix gas and oil, but my only complaint is that it's heavy. It comes with a harness that you loop over your shoulder, because you'll need it. After 15 minutes of use, I'm about ready to toss it out. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't make it lighter. Other than that , it starts easy, has a movable shaft to put the trimmer in different positions for edging, and isn't bad on gas. And isn't obnoxiously load. if I recall right, it holds 3.2 oz's of straight 30 wt oil. Unless your looking to get your weight training in for the day, I'd look for a lighter weight model trimmer.,,,
If you want tolerable weight, stick to the 2-cycle units, we've had good luck with our Echo SRM-2620T. When my brother and I had a small commercial lawn business we had great luck with Toro commercial 2 strokes (but that was way back in the 80-90's). It's straight shaft and we swapped in a fixed line aluminum cutting head as we HATE those stupid bump head style heads!

Back