Rear Main Seal concern???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Old Tom, I always loved my Mopars ever since I was young. He also has two brand new OEM replacement doors that are included. The original doors are starting to rust at the bottom. Im contemplating giving him acouple hundred more dollars for including the doors -- have to sleep on that one.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
His driveway is clean. Looks like a little dribble starting to form -- thats all.

I've had great luck with Mobil 1 HM in my Jeep. Stopped a RMS leak in it's tracks.

Maybe it'd help you too?

Dont get me wrong, the truck in not in mint condition. The clear coat on the hood and roof is starting to peel away also. Going to be my firewood/deer hunting truck.

Trav, I respect and appreciate your feedback. QUESTION -- why would you not run a HM oil in this truck? At what point do you start using a HM oil? "IF" I would start using a HM oil -- I would NOT revert back to a regular/conventional motor oil.

Dale

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Dont get me wrong, the truck in not in mint condition. The clear coat on the hood and roof is starting to peel away also. Going to be my firewood/deer hunting truck.

Firewood/hunting trucks are supposed to have oil leaks. Also make sure to have four differnt types of tires at each corner to handle various conditions: one each for mud, sand, snow, and highway touring. Rattle can camo paint? Straight pipes.

The 318 this vintage still used a 2 piece rear seal that tend to leak slightly at the break in the cap. As far as HM oil;s and sealers go you have a bit of conflict, the seal is nitrile that will readily swell with the esters or solvents found in HM oil and most sealers and that's the good part of the deal.

These seals are almost 20 years old and swelling/softening them can cause them to crack and fail, the other point to consider is all seals will be effected even the ones that don't have a leak. The older the seal the dryer and more brittle they become. Almost 20 year old valve seals can be as brittle as glass but still working until you try and soften/swell them.

HM oils work better the newer the seal, up to about 10 years you have a good shot. The industry has been playing word games and most have removed/substituted the word "swell" for "conditioner", make no mistake these are seal swellers.
In this case with the 318 they use a sealer between the RM seal halves, it could be RTV or some other but in any case these are negatively effected by esters and solvents which may turn the slight weep/leak into a full blown puddle maker, even if it stops it the effect may be temporary and return worse than before.

As you say the leak is very minor and truthfully with this seal design its almost normal and may stay that way it is for many years, IMO its not worth messing with it.

49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back