Rear disc brakes squeal right before a stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started today. I have about 50k miles on the rear disk pads/rotors. I was thinking that I need new rear brakes but after a quick search I am hearing that if the pads are worn, the indicator will squeal when the brakes arent applied. Why would my brakes squeal when being applied? My front brakes are good and have 30k miles on them(75% pad left). I also just tried going in reverse and making somewhat of a hard stop and that did seem to take some of the squeal away.

So if the pads are worn would my brakes squeal when being applied? I have a 2001 Grand Am GT

If you've never serviced the rear brakes since having them done 50K ago, they can make noises.

By rear brake service, what I mean is taking apart all the moving components and then cleaning off all the rust and dirt build-up on the pads and retainer clips, and relubing the tabs of the brake pads and the caliper slider pins. Ideally this should be done once a year.

Start with an inspection, and if the pads are still good, get a brake service done, have them put some silicone on the back of the pads, and ask to have the top and bottom of the brake pad material chamfered and that should help avoid future brake squeal for a while. Good luck!

The last two brake jobs I did/ gave advice on, the squealers had broken off. If you have alloy wheels, take a peak in their and see for yourself. If not, then it might be worth jacking the car up and pulling a wheel off to check, as well.

The sensors are just little sheet metal pieces that will rub on the rotor and make a fingernails on a chalkboard squeal.

They normally act the opposite of what you think - they make noise on brake application.

A visual inspection is the only way to find out what's going on there. Take apart the rear brakes and find out. They may only need some lube and a bleed but, you won't know til you look!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Do you have a parking brake that got used for the first time in a few months/years?

Good point!

I did a whole brake job on my BIL's GMC Jimmy(4 wheel disk). And he had complained later on that the "rears" were squeeling during braking. It turned out to be the parking brakes under the rear rotors causing the high pitched squeel. We readjusted them and all was good to go!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Do you have a parking brake that got used for the first time in a few months/years?

Good point!

I did a whole brake job on my BIL's GMC Jimmy(4 wheel disk). And he had complained later on that the "rears" were squeeling during braking. It turned out to be the parking brakes under the rear rotors causing the high pitched squeel. We readjusted them and all was good to go!

How do you exactly readjust the parking brake? I should really get this squealing checked out I dont really use my car alot. Also if it was the parking brake would it make the noise after the car has been drivin a while? The noise im getting only happens after say 10-15 minutes of driving, after say 10 good red light stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back