Rear Diff Seal Leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very minor leak at the rear diff seal. Anyone have thoughts on just adding some stop leak like Blue Devil? The fluid is fairly new.

I doubt the stop leak would work. Gravity is not your friend when it comes to a rear diff leak. Better to pop the cover off and reseal. If the fluid is new, there's nothing wrong with using it again.

Originally Posted by Pike51
I have a very minor leak at the rear diff seal. Anyone have thoughts on just adding some stop leak like Blue Devil? The fluid is fairly new.

Leave it and top off as needed. I would not mess with a minor leak at the pinion seal, only if oil is leaking out an axle seal onto your brakes. An additive likely will not work but you got nothing to lose by trying..

Last edited:
Lubener X2
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Where's the leak? The OP said "rear diff seal". At the pinion, or the cover plate.

Exactly, pinion, axle/hub, or cover?

Sorry... at the pinion.

Ohh, that changes things a bit. I thought you meant at the plate.

You state the leak is very minor. How many drops a day are we talking?

Sorry... at the pinion.

I had the dealer under extended warranty, replace the pinion seal for a minor leak. I wish i had left it alone. I once had a quiet differential, after their repair the differential had a whine because they got the preload screwed up. It was a PITA dealing with them afterward and getting it straightened out..

My truck has a minor pinion leak, it has been leaking for over twenty years. I had to top off once during that time. Like I said, unless it is leaving a large spot on the driveway overnight, I would leave it alone. You may never have to top it off.

Last edited:
This is the rear end on my 51 Chevy... it was pulled from a 1969 Buick LeSabre.

Minor as in just seeps and I can wipe fluid away when it's on the lift... sounds like I may just leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back