Rear Axle Seal - Problems- Not Factory Bearings Or Seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I was working on this project, I decided to check the axle vent. It was plugged up enough that I couldn't blow through it. The hose was clear, the fitting was not. I took it out and poked it and some PB Blaster and it cleaned right up. Maybe a contributing factor to seal leak?

Originally Posted by Fitz98
As I was working on this project, I decided to check the axle vent. It was plugged up enough that I couldn't blow through it. The hose was clear, the fitting was not. I took it out and poked it and some PB Blaster and it cleaned right up. Maybe a contributing factor to seal leak?

Quite possible, if the pressure has nowhere to go it will take the path of least resistance. The diff vent plugged up on my Tacoma and more than likely was the cause of the seal leak which took out my wheel bearing. I relocated the breather behind the tail light (as the old one was just screwed into the diff) to keep it away from dirt, salt, and water. Not as much of an issue for your being in Florida, but something to consider.

X2. Vent hoses are frequently blocked on older trucks, or in need of repair.

Also check the fitting on the axle tube. On my 94 Ranger the fitting itself was blocked (hose also trashed) with mud, and I think it's what blew out an axle seal. I took the fitting off the axle and cleaned it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back