Really Good Deal On .45 ACP SD Ammo

Thanks! Just ordered a few.
Well, maybe more than a few.
Let’s call it a passel.
It is a good deal. I have stockpiled 3 orders of the Norma stuff over the last couple of months from them, in both .45 ACP and 9 MM. Yesterday I bought a Charles Daly 1911 from them. This one for just $349.00. All steel color case hardened frame, Walnut grips, and a polished blue and engraved slide.

After I chose the FFL I wanted it sent to, and checked out, I was going to post the link here. But they were already sold out! In less than 10 minutes after I placed my order.

The plain jane Field version usually goes for around $450.00+.... And that is a good price. They are built by Brixia in Italy for Chiappa Firearms, who now owns the Charles Daly name. I should pick it up early next week.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/cha...p-5-8rd-pistol-color-cased-blued-440-200.html
1714227752513.jpeg

Just a crappy phone camera picture of it. The color case hardening and the slide engraving look a lot better than the pic shows. Hopefully I'll get to the range next week with it.

View attachment 217475
Nice gun, Bill!

Missed that deal - But I don’t need another 1911 right now.

Already have a couple in .45. And I just got two Essex-framed (Colt slide) 1911s as projects. The first one was “bubba’d” up. Barrel hogged out with a dremel. File marks on the hammer hooks. Not gonna’ trust any of that work, so, it’s getting all new internals and a new barrel. A variety of parts from various sources, but EGW figured big on my Visa bill. I spent more on tools/fixtures/gauges/jigs than I did on the gun. I bought a second one, and that one looks good inside. Maybe when I finish getting those two sorted, I’ll be ready for another 1911 in .45ACP. But making them right is as almost much fun as shooting them these days. They’re a challenge, and I love a challenge. These aren’t plug’n’play like polymer pistols…. 😎

This is the second one, the good one. They’re both identical, same hammers, grips, grip safeties, slide levers, everything. Wonder if someone made a run of Essex framed guns.

IMG_2797.jpeg

Last edited:
Color case hardening is really tricky to get it right. Temperature, time, and even the type of charcoal all has to be be correct in relation to each other, in order to get the desired look. Turnbull Restoration and Standard Manufacturing are 2 of the best at it.

I like Turnbull's work a little better, because it's a little more subdued. Standard uses a different process that really shows a lot of lighter hues.

I was really surprised that Charles Daly could give that kind of work for the price. Even the grip safety and the arched mainspring housing has color case hardening, and both match the frame very well. Both Turnbull and Standard's work run well into the 4 figure range.

I know this is a bit off track for this thread. But the Laser engraving on the slide of my new Charles Daly 1911 got me interested in this process. This is just a very short video on computerized Laser engraving.

It's amazing how far this has come along in the last few years. They can engrave anything on most any material in just seconds. They even have places that will Laser engrave your name on magazines. They can control both color and depth easily.

I'm afraid as this improves even more, and the cost of these machines come down, it's going to make hand engraving an all but dying art. I don't know for sure, but I'm assuming the sound is authentic.... And they didn't even have to field strip the pistol.

Back