Realistic tread life of Continental Pro Contacts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I often use a set of winter tires so it isn't the winter cold killing them either.

Never heard of cold killing tires. If anything, it's the high temps that accelerate wear.

Well, I would seriously doubt that the Michelin Primacy MXV4, a tire that is marked as low rolling resistance in 205/55/16, will
produce lower MPG than my OE Continentals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flinter
Well, I would seriously doubt that the Michelin Primacy MXV4, a tire that is marked as low rolling resistance in 205/55/16, will
produce lower MPG than my OE Continentals.

Not all LRR tires are created equal. Did you see this test result on TR?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=171

MXV4 was not the best when it comes to fuel economy. Alas, the differences are so small, it would never affect my purchase decision, personally.

Also, keep in mind a worn out tire will typically show better MPG compared to a brand new one.

I have ContiPro Contacts on the Golf. They are quiet and have a very nice soft/comfortable ride. The trade-offs are handling and winter traction IMO. When I first got the car I was strongly considering replacing them w/something else. Never had Continentials before and my previous OEM tire, Hankook H725's, were very poor tires IMO. The Conti's are a much better tire than the H725's. I've decided to keep them on. For me, time (instead of miles) will probably be the reason for a new set of tires. They are middle of the pack tires and I'm 99% sure I'll be getting another brand when that time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back