Ready to attempt VSS and ABS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am doing some Googling now.. ABS unit, I think I will swap in the one from Midwest ABS and mail back my old. Eliminates need for soldering/buying soldering things/nobody around to solder/I've never soldered, etc. As to the VSS, or Vehicle Speed Sensor, I need to confirm it is this one.. Or, most importantly, how to put it in! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...atchlink:top:en

Between these two things, I read a site yesterday that says the ECU should re-learn itself, and clear/reset codes.

EDIT: For those unfamiliar (though most here are,) it is a 2000 Volvo V70 XC and it has Check Engine Light on.. Code P1633 the first time, now is P0722. Today, I get paid and can buy 1. The parts 2. A tool or two. The VSS may in fact be it as well as ABS, and replacing them with quality reman units should be a great first step. And I know I can do the ABS.. the VSS also seems easy.

I will Google more when I get home, must drive friend to work. (Yes, in the Volvo. I watch its intermittent behaviors every day, gives me clues, and an impetus. Thanks!)

Last edited:
Do one thing at a time. I would not buy nor do the VSS yet until the ABS gets back. No sense wasting the $$.

Real-time update: Just got back from driving, parked in lot, let it sit and run, went through all gears with foot on brake (to check trans fluid.) Turns out, it may still be ~1 quart low (I had never properly wiped off dipstick nor went through all gears at park and let sit for a few while running, so I only added about 1/2 a quart since I got it; artificial high reading, if you will. I notice improvement in feel. For this last quart, it is between Maxlife and Mobil 1, slight nod to Maxlife..) Otherwise, all other systems were fine and it was a smooth ride.

Thinking of Maxlife ATF to top off with, unsure how Mobil 1 ATF would be beneficial to me. Unless it would be.. Dex III/IV, IIRC.

Quote:
Do one thing at a time. I would not buy nor do the VSS yet until the ABS gets back. No sense wasting the $$.

ABS first. Can do! Might fix everything! I have already read one account of changing ABS "fixing" various weirdnesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back