Re-using Oil Filter Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit, this is probably a dumb question, but I have to ask: Can you re-use the gasket off a canister-type filter? I ask because I came across a stash of FL-820 filters at a discount store. They are $1 each, but they are all missing the gasket. I know filters are cheap insurance, so why take the chance. But, I still wanted to know. Thanks.

I would say yes. Is it preferred, no.

However, think of all the quick lubes out there that likely do not replace the gasket when those filters get changed.

All they are is an o-ring. You could take the old one to a place that sells o-rings and get the same size. There may even be specs on the o-ring.

Now that I've typed all that, I see I misread your post. I'll leave the rest for others information.

New answer: Absolutely not.

If they are missing the gasket you might consider that they were tampered with and/or not properly stored and the risk of a problem is not worth the savings. For a filter that costs about 5 bucks or less I'd take a pass on this deal.

Same filter on eBay.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If they are missing the gasket you might consider that they were tampered with and/or not properly stored and the risk of a problem is not worth the savings. For a filter that costs about 5 bucks or less I'd take a pass on this deal.

Same filter on eBay.

This.

Or buy the stash and cut one open for inspection. Then go from there..

Thanks for the input. Like I said, I'm not so hard up that I need to save $2 on a filter. I was just inquiring about the possibility/value. The filters are in pretty good shape. This is the same store that I found 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 5W20 for $9.99 last year.

Hello, I like the dilemma you're in. It's tantalizing.

1) Without a ready source of the proper gaskets (how many, anyway?) you'll make work for yourself seeking them out.

2) I'm not at all certain an "O" ring of the "correct size" is tall enough to serve as an oil filter gasket. I could be wrong.

2a) I live near one of the best hardware stores you've ever seen. I don't think their "O" ring drawer comes near the diameter needed-then there's the question above. You'd then be pressed to order online...with shipping...with minimums.

3) If you had a sludged up engine and wanted to do several chemical purges in a short period it might be worth it.

4) How 'bout this; contact Ford and all the other manufacturers who make a cross-referenced filter and ask them about gasket availability. You could lie and say you bought a bunch of filters while on vacation and found they were gasketless upon returning home. Kira

I attempted to source the gasket, and still keep the price under 50% of a new filter. That gasket wasn't easy to find, primairly because it's flat, and not a round 0-ring. It proved to be a hassle, when new FL-820s are cheap and plentiful at WallyWorld. I may buy one and experiment with the used gasket. Maybe let it sit in the garage and run a bit so I can check for leaks. My truck is my baby, though, so I'm not going to turn it into a lab rat just yet.

Dude, NO!

Would you buy a tv off of craigslist that had no power cord for 1/3 of the price of a new one?

Even if the filters were free I wouldn't screw around with this and I'm super cheap. A 5 year supply of old oil filters that I had to assemble myself and make me nervous anytime the engine is running...no thanks.

If the filters look OK otherwise, then there might be some merit in them!

You'd have to find some gaskets, and much depends upon you FCI duration.

For example, if you bought the FL-820s w/o gaskets, and also bought some new ones with gaskets, then each of the "new" could be shared with the "missing"; matched up one for one. Use a "new" filter, then transfer the gasket to a naked one. Repeat.

You could also seek out a gasket in silicone; that would increase the safety odds. Perhaps there is a PureOne filter with the same gasket size, as the MCs are Puro made?

I'd not simply discard the thought of an excellent buy just because
1) some moron stole the gaskets, (possible)
2) some aggravated employee removed them (unlikely)
3) some production run left them off in error (most likely)
At a buck a piece, you could afford to open one up just to satisfy yourself they are OK.

No - wait, I changed my mind.

I'll buy them if you'll ship them to me!
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JamesBond

Would you buy a tv off of craigslist that had no power cord for 1/3 of the price of a new one?

Certainly would, as long as it's a flat panel. Power cords are easy to procure
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Originally Posted By: JamesBond

Certainly would, as long as it's a flat panel. Power cords are easy to procure
wink.gif

"What happened to the cord?... Um I don't know, but trust me, it works as good as a new one"

How about some duct tape????

Butyl mastic + duct tape???

How much is your engine worth?

Just go to the store and buy a new, fresh oil filter.

You could do what the "Wal Martians" do. Buy enough there, swipe all the gaskets, put them back into the boxes, and return them.

That's a joke, but I'm sure it's been done before.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
You could do what the "Wal Martians" do. Buy enough there, swipe all the gaskets, put them back into the boxes, and return them.

That's a joke, but I'm sure it's been done before.

Could be what happened to these. Most are in boxes and look brand new. I always look at the gasket when I buy a new filter because I got screwed once. Got the new filter home and the gasket was missing.

Since the rubber gasket isn't a "crush" style gasket, it shouldn't necessarily lose its resilience over the course of a single FCI.

Typically the oil filter gaskets aren't leaking when they're removed. Buyt will one gasket work for 2, 3, 5, 10 FCI's? No way to tell without testing.

Maybe you can go to an oil change place and pry off some single FCI gaskets of the right size from their used oil filter pile before they're sent off for recycling.

Are the gaskets made out of nitrile rubber? Isn't the P1 gasket made out of silicone?

To be honest, I never took the time to inspect the gasket after use..

The gaskets are typically NBR, at least on non-exotic brands.

The P1 has a silicone ADBV, not gasket.

Some have claims of "self-lubricating" and others like P1 claim Teflon (PTFE) coating; I doubt if any of those things really make much of a difference for the typical DIY person. For example, the P1 I installed in my truck in June and removed in Oct. took an end cap wrench with just a tad of force to break free.

I don't think either of those "features" would render the gasket to a use-once item necessarily. And, if scavenged from an oil change place's recycling bin, most will typically be shop filters without many fancy features anywhere, much less the gasket.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
The gaskets are typically NBR, at least on non-exotic brands.

The P1 has a silicone ADBV, not gasket.

Some have claims of "self-lubricating" and others like P1 claim Teflon (PTFE) coating; I doubt if any of those things really make much of a difference for the typical DIY person. For example, the P1 I installed in my truck in June and removed in Oct. took an end cap wrench with just a tad of force to break free.

I don't think either of those "features" would render the gasket to a use-once item necessarily. And, if scavenged from an oil change place's recycling bin, most will typically be shop filters without many fancy features anywhere, much less the gasket.

I thought the gasket was the same color as the ADBV. It would make sense that they are the same material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back