Re-Use an Amsoil Ea Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary - I can only report what I normally see with my GM 5.3L V8, with a vertical filter position. My observation is that oil drained from the dirty oil side of a used filter visually has more silting, or the soft particles no larger than the 5 micron size, that are normally carried along in the oil stream.

The 4-8 oz on the dirty oil side of the filter has more silting than the drain oil in the pan.

So some of these particles must be settling out to the bottom of the can & accumulating.

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't tough the filter just add oil.The oil in the filter really won't matter.

Quote:

Just change the oil, leave the filter alone. I now change the Eao filter every 3rd oil change.

Yeah, uh hum… So why don’t you guys just prefill your new EA filters with dirty oil out of the drain pan? Save that precious 12 oz of new, fresh oil!

Look, I’m in the habit of dissecting my filter after every oil change, to monitor the various flakes of carbon debris and silting on the dirty oil side of the filter, so rinsing out this filter to examine the rinse oil is just another form of monitoring and is no additional effort on my part.

To me, rinsing the Amsoil Ea 064 filter was time well spent, as the later stage of the rinse oil came out very “ink” looking, that is very dark liquid, but no soft particles, no silt. It indicates to me that the filter does indeed filter to a lower micron size than the Wix NAPA Gold’s I normally run.

Obviously, a simple rinse will not remove all the particles trapped in the filter media. But after 3 rinses of 4-6 ounces of oil, the oil will be clean as it flows back out of the filter.

- Just an available option for anyone who wants to remove as many contaminants as possible, before circulating fresh oil thru the engine!

Just change the filter then, what if you were to run a 10,000 mile oil change ? clean the filter at 5,000 miles?

Quote:

Yeah, uh hum… So why don’t you guys just prefill your new EA filters with dirty oil out of the drain pan? Save that precious 12 oz of new, fresh oil!

Look, I’m in the habit of dissecting my filter after every oil change, to monitor the various flakes of carbon debris and silting on the dirty oil side of the filter, so rinsing out this filter to examine the rinse oil is just another form of monitoring and is no additional effort on my part.

To me, rinsing the Amsoil Ea 064 filter was time well spent, as the later stage of the rinse oil came out very “ink” looking, that is very dark liquid, but no soft particles, no silt. It indicates to me that the filter does indeed filter to a lower micron size than the Wix NAPA Gold’s I normally run.

Obviously, a simple rinse will not remove all the particles trapped in the filter media. But after 3 rinses of 4-6 ounces of oil, the oil will be clean as it flows back out of the filter.

- Just an available option for anyone who wants to remove as many contaminants as possible, before circulating fresh oil thru the engine!

That's WAY too much time and effort for me. If I was that concerned about it, I would simply change the filter rather than rinsing it out several times. The money I would save on the rinsing oil would go a long way toward paying for a new filter. In the end, it isn't going to cost that much more to simply replace the filter with every oil change.
I just ordered a case of EA filters and haven't yet decided if I'll replace them every other oil change or not. I do 5K OCI's on synthetic.

What about mixing different oils? I understand in the big scheme of things, it wont matter but if you did GTX before and are putting M1, does it shorten M1's life by mixing GTX left behind in filter? I think it dont matter but want to see folks' take on this...

Don't worry about it from the filter's perspective, Seth. Now from a UOA perspective ..take it into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back