re thinking job field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: Tegger
I go see a doctor who...said absolutely do not work for at least 3 days...I called my service manager...he said be here at 8 sharp no matter what

Did the doctor give you a note to give to your boss? If not, why not?

Yea I have a note my boss said that he didn't care and that the doctor doesn't know anything.

Document, document, document. Some states are fairly liberal with unemployment, and others say that if you get fired, you get nothing (right to work vs other types of legal scenarios). The key is that you need to document that they are making claims that are NOT in your best or health interest, and in conflict with your doctor. I hope you have the request by email, text, or similar means. if not, "set up" your boss by doing this, e.g. snap a picture of the dr note, email it to your boss with a request for leave, and have him reply by email.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
You need to file a workers' compensation claim. That is what it is there for. The company is required to have work comp insurance and they cannot refuse to let you file a claim. If they do, then you need to hire an attorney. Also, you should not be paying any of the related medical bills...the work comp carrier will pay them all as a part of your claim. So report at 8:00 like you were told, go to human resources, tell them you would like the paperwork to file a workers' compensation claim, show them the doctor's note, and do not go back to work until you are released to do so by a doctor.

I am not a fan of hiring an attorney for a work comp case (I work for an insurance company, after all), but one reason to hire one is if you are getting jerked around by your employer. And they cannot fire you for filing a claim. Well, I guess they can, but then you can sue for wrongful termination. There are all sorts of laws against that.

And once your claim is closed out, it might be time to find a new job.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Start looking for another employer also right now. If the Doctor told you not to work for three days do not work for three days once that nasty infection spreads the last thing you will worry about is your job. If your employer does not even care enough to allow you Doctor ordered sick time then the employer does not deserve you. Yes the economy stinks. I know first hand also I have seen first hand when someone allows their pride and the "need" to earn an income effect their health and he was fortunate to only amputate part of his hand and a 10 day hospital stay. For a while he was knocking on deaths door.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
You need to file a workers' compensation claim. That is what it is there for. The company is required to have work comp insurance and they cannot refuse to let you file a claim. If they do, then you need to hire an attorney. Also, you should not be paying any of the related medical bills...the work comp carrier will pay them all as a part of your claim. So report at 8:00 like you were told, go to human resources, tell them you would like the paperwork to file a workers' compensation claim, show them the doctor's note, and do not go back to work until you are released to do so by a doctor.

I am not a fan of hiring an attorney for a work comp case (I work for an insurance company, after all), but one reason to hire one is if you are getting jerked around by your employer. And they cannot fire you for filing a claim. Well, I guess they can, but then you can sue for wrongful termination. There are all sorts of laws against that.

Start looking for another employer also right now. If the Doctor told you not to work for three days do not work for three days once that nasty infection spreads the last thing you will worry about is your job. If your employer does not even care enough to allow you Doctor ordered sick time then the employer does not deserve you. Yes the economy stinks. I know first hand also I have seen first hand when someone allows their pride and the "need" to earn an income effect their health and he was fortunate to only amputate part of his hand and a 10 day hospital stay. For a while he was knocking on deaths door.

I just don't want to lose my job. I can't afford to. But My Hand Really hurts. They want me to finish putting an intake on a 4.6 crown vic tomorrow I'm not sure how I am going to manage it. My hand hurts to move. The manager gave me some nonsense about how he was bit by a dog and still came to work so I should also be able to as well. I don't want to ruffle any feathers but I want fair reasonable treatment. I wasn't going to even take the full 3 days I wanted to just take one and see how it was and be back to work on Thursday. But they won't do that either. We gave one guy out on vacation so it's me one other tech and the service manager so we are short handed with one guy being out but work isn't very busy anyway. I know it's bad timing but I can't help that

You need to take care of that hand that has the infection because if you don't then who will ? The shop manager ? It is obvious how much he really does care. If you don't stand up for yourself then who will. Move on and if you can get in with Indy then so be it. Where one door closes a better one opens.

Good Luck...
10.gif

It's infected cause told you too put super glue on it. Bad choice of first aid. I'd sue the [censored] out of him. He obviously doesn't care about you and should learn a lesson.

Originally Posted By: Boczech
You need to take care of that hand that has the infection because if you don't then who will ? The shop manager ? It is obvious how much he really does care. If you don't stand up for yourself then who will. Move on and if you can get in with Indy then so be it. Where one door closes a better one opens.

Good Luck...
10.gif

+1

Can you get out of the new car buy, since you cannot afford it?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Boczech

Good Luck...
10.gif

+1

Can you get out of the new car buy, since you cannot afford it?

I can afford the new car and never said I couldn't....but like most Americans I do have to work to afford things.......not many people can afford to not work...not sure how this is at all relevant though

Your manager is an [censored].

I suggest talking to the Biomed Society in your area, attend their next meeting and introduce yourself. Biomeds repair, test and calibrate medical equipment, easy job to do , not hard on your body and you will need a $150 toolbox not thousands like a car mechanic's tool box.

I did this job for 15 years and there is good money especially if you go into a modality that is high-end. Lots of overtime if you want it. I'm no longer doing field service but I know GE starts their biomed interns at $18-21 (depending on your location). I also like working on cars as a hobby.... but as a career I need/want something light duty with good pay/benefits. I'm now in quality and compliance for the healthcare side of the business, no longer 'turning wrenches'.

24x7 magazine and TechNation has more info if you want to learn more about this field. I hope you feel better and your cut heals ASAP. You don't want a major infection / hospitalization.

I just don't want to lose my job. I can't afford to. But My Hand Really hurts. They want me to finish putting an intake on a 4.6 crown vic tomorrow I'm not sure how I am going to manage it. My hand hurts to move. The manager gave me some nonsense about how he was bit by a dog and still came to work so I should also be able to as well. I don't want to ruffle any feathers but I want fair reasonable treatment. I wasn't going to even take the full 3 days I wanted to just take one and see how it was and be back to work on Thursday. But they won't do that either. We gave one guy out on vacation so it's me one other tech and the service manager so we are short handed with one guy being out but work isn't very busy anyway. I know it's bad timing but I can't help that

You can't lose your job. That's illegal. If they're making you come to work despite your injury, they're breaking the law.....PERIOD. It may be bad timing but that's tough [self censored]. That's their problem, not yours.

Contact the workers comp office ASAP and tell them what's going on.

Division of Workers' Compensation
3315 W. Truman Blvd.
P.O. Box 58
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0058
573-751-4231
[email protected]

Again, them firing you for filing a workers' compensation claim is illegal and you would easily win a lawsuit against them if they do that. You cannot afford to be fired, but you definitely cannot afford to lose your hand to infection because these guys want to ignore your legitimate and serious injury. I don't care if the service manager's junk got bit off by a dog and he came into work 20 minutes later. This is YOUR hand and YOUR injury. He is not a doctor and cannot say that the doctor was wrong in taking you off of work. Is he also going to tell you to flush your meds?

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

You can't lose your job. That's illegal. If they're making you come to work despite your injury, they're breaking the law.....PERIOD. It may be bad timing but that's tough [self censored]. That's their problem, not yours.

Contact the workers comp office ASAP and tell them what's going on.

3315 W. Truman Blvd.
P.O. Box 58
573-751-4231
[email protected]

+1.

Since the initial injury was last week and I didn't file then and then today went to the doctor on my own dime can I still file a workers comp claim?

Yes you can still file, and I would do so. I hurt my finger while at work and had to get stitches last spring. The company paid for everything, the visits, the bills, the xrays, etc. Also if your hand is still fd up after all of this, workmans comp will take care of all your needs, this includes time that you had to take off from work, they literally compensate for you getting hurt on the job- they will pay you for missed time. I cant say enough how much you need to file that claim ASAP, also your employer cannot fire you, they would be breaking the law. So dont worry about your job, worry about getting that claim in and getting your hand healthy.

3315 W. Truman Blvd.
P.O. Box 58
573-751-4231
[email protected]

Last edited:

It does not matter if your manger lost his head and reattached it, minutes later induced labor on himself thus being the first and only human male to bare and bore a child then tore down a transmission and rebuilt it in 20 minutes while walking uphill in snow both ways.

Follow your Doctors advice. What is more important your life and or quality of life. Or a job?
Like I said I know the economy is in the tank. Your employer is understaffed. None of that is your problem for two reasons you did not choose to understaffed your place of employment and you can not be lawfully terminated for filing for workman's compensation and taking the required time off for your hand to heal. What kind of bind do you believe your employer will be in if you return to work and in your weakened state you seriously injure or kill yourself or others because you are being prideful or fearful of unlawful termination?

Also like I said start looking for another place to work. A shop manager telling a one hand tech to come to work does not have his correct priorities straight. Take a step back and swallow any pride and think. What is the probability of you doing more harm than good right now with a single functioning hand and the other rife with infection to the point the Doctor ordered you not to return to work for 3 days?

unless there is ABSOLUTELY no room, putting back an intake manifold to me is a joke...your manager can't do it? Tell him through break, there is always BUFU. I'm no mechanic, I'm simply interested in engines, and just a college student.

Your health is the most important thing, without it you can't help yourself, forget helping anyone else...LOL at your boss and don't show up because you have a doctor's note, SUE them if they fire you for following doctor's order

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: abycat
It's infected cause told you too put super glue on it. Bad choice of first aid. I'd sue the [censored] out of him. He obviously doesn't care about you and should learn a lesson.

You don't know what your talking about. Super glue is non toxic. In my youth our hockey teams trainer would use it on gashes and cuts and so on to stop the bleeding and bond the skin.
Works beautifully and reduces scarring vs stitches.

As far as the infection goes getting gashed up with likely filthy hands and a dirty work environment may have been a factor.
None the less ram man although I do understand your supervisors point about working while injured because I'm a contractor so I don't qualify for comp or unemployment insurance so I gotta be at work no matter what,but that's a decision I made and no way would I expect an employee to come to work injured.
If they wanted light duty then I'd find them something to do so they still got a paycheque coming in.
And if the injury required time off then take the time off, especially since a dr told you too. File a claim. You only get one body to last you a lifetime. When the parts wear out the replacements aren't near as good as oem.
As a business owner I pay big bucks into workers comp and if an at work injury occurs I expect the employee to take care of themselves.
No job is worth potentially incurring permanent damage.

Per OSHA regulations your boss is supposed to track and report any significant work place injuries. You have a significant work place injury if you are in pain and need to see a doctor. He is also supposed to report any work place injury to his management if he has any depending on company size. When injured at the work place you are supposed to be sent to medical care at cost to your employer. If the doc says you need more care or need time off after a work place injury you are entitled to that. These laws are in place so people hurt on the job get reasonable and appropriate care. The laws are not there to run scams and get rich but to protect people injured at work. Suggest you first contact HR (if its a large company) at company you work for and complain, also contact a labor or workmen's comp attorney and see if you have a claim to pursue for such poor treatment. At the very least, get a new boss or get a new job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: abycat

You don't know what your talking about. Super glue is non toxic. In my youth our hockey teams trainer would use it on gashes and cuts and so on to stop the bleeding and bond the skin.
Works beautifully and reduces scarring vs stitches.

As far as the infection goes getting gashed up with likely filthy hands and a dirty work environment may have been a factor.
None the less ram man although I do understand your supervisors point about working while injured because I'm a contractor so I don't qualify for comp or unemployment insurance so I gotta be at work no matter what,but that's a decision I made and no way would I expect an employee to come to work injured.
If they wanted light duty then I'd find them something to do so they still got a paycheque coming in.
And if the injury required time off then take the time off, especially since a dr told you too. File a claim. You only get one body to last you a lifetime. When the parts wear out the replacements aren't near as good as oem.
As a business owner I pay big bucks into workers comp and if an at work injury occurs I expect the employee to take care of themselves.
No job is worth potentially incurring permanent damage.

bro google it. it is not something that belongs in a first aid kit. And not to be put on an open wound. Trust me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back