Re: PP 5W30 - Why there are 2 types and prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a long time lurker from Canada and recently I have started to use/stock up on PP 5W30 for my Pontiac SV6 minivan.

My local Walmart carries 2 types of jugs: 4.4 L priced at $21.88 and 5L priced at ~$30. The later is a taller jug with a red band that said 'New Formula', it is also pricier per litre.

I have bought the 4.4 L jugs because it is cheaper. What is the differences between the two formulas and is it the same in the U.S?

Its the same oil - the 4.4L jugs were bought at a 'special price' for the 'Anniversary Sale' WM had a while ago, and they are just trying to get rid of them.

The bigger jugs are the 'regular price'. ASFAIK, they are the same oil....

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

welcome2.gif

Now that you are a member remember the #1 rule.

You get what you pay for.
cheers3.gif

So if the 5l is more per liter than that is the one to buy!

Up there, how much is the conventional Pennzoil?

Are you going by the OLM for your OCI in the Mini-Van?

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
welcome2.gif

cheers3.gif

Take care, Bill

What??

I live in Canada too and I see these two jugs nearly sidexside. I bought 15 jugs of the 4.4L. The 4.4L is $21.88 and the 5L is ~$38.00. Why in the world is paying nearly $17 for 600ml a good deal? You didn't really mean that did you? Usually you say the opposite so I am puzzled...
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thomas101
I am a long time lurker from Canada and recently I have started to use/stock up on PP 5W30 for my Pontiac SV6 minivan.

My local Walmart carries 2 types of jugs: 4.4 L priced at $21.88 and 5L priced at ~$30. The later is a taller jug with a red band that said 'New Formula', it is also pricier per litre.

I have bought the 4.4 L jugs because it is cheaper. What is the differences between the two formulas and is it the same in the U.S?

welcome2.gif
Where in Ontario are you from? As for the PP, it's a darn good oil and I wouldn't pay the extra for the 600ml! Smart move!
wink.gif

Thanks for the welcome. I will try to answer several replies at once.

I live in NE Brampton, ON.

Dino Pennzoil goes for around $4.00/litre before on sales but it is rarely does.

I was wondering why the unit price in the bigger jug costs more and then another thread on this forum discussed how Walmart can influence vendors to supply them with modified products.

So I can believe you guys that it is one formulation. Right?

Originally Posted By: thomas101

When I see this on any product in the store, I always check the manufacture date. That reveals all.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
welcome2.gif

cheers3.gif

Take care, Bill

What??

I live in Canada too and I see these two jugs nearly sidexside. I bought 15 jugs of the 4.4L. The 4.4L is $21.88 and the 5L is ~$38.00. Why in the world is paying nearly $17 for 600ml a good deal? You didn't really mean that did you? Usually you say the opposite so I am puzzled...
21.gif

I'm just joking.
48.gif

So many members state that "you get what you pay for" and buying anything on a "deal" or heaven forbid conventional oil and you are not doing the best thing.

No, buy the one that is the cheapest since they both are the SAME stuff.

I'd be looking at the YB just because its a better deal IMB (in my book)
thumbsup2.gif

Take care, bill

Yep, same oil. When they run out of the 4.4L jugs there will be no more. I bought out my local walmart a couple of months ago for $19.99 / jug. Very good price when compared to the normal price ~$38

Now, if you want to get real cheap you can get excellent dino oils for half of that when they are on sale. QS green jugs go on sale for $10-$12 jug regularly at CT, and I just noticed PartSource here in Ottawa has sales periodically. Example, Formula Shell is on for $2.39/litre, and they had Halvoline on for cheap last month too.

When I run out of PP I'll be hunting down those great deals on dino
wink.gif

FYI: manufacturing date on all my PP jugs were August/08. So they definitely weren't old stock.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
welcome2.gif

cheers3.gif

Take care, Bill

What??

21.gif

I'm just joking.
48.gif

So many members state that "you get what you pay for" and buying anything on a "deal" or heaven forbid conventional oil and you are not doing the best thing.

No, buy the one that is the cheapest since they both are the SAME stuff.

I'd be looking at the YB just because its a better deal IMB (in my book)
thumbsup2.gif

Take care, bill

Whew !! I thought i had come to the twilight zone or something...
50.gif

Pennzoil YB is ~$17/5L, when I saw the PP 4.4Ljugs for 19.88, it was a no brainer.

welcome2.gif

cheers3.gif

Take care, Bill

Sorry Bill, I missed one of your questions.

I just swiched to PP recently at 5000 km. Dino oils like YP or Castrol GTX are around $18 - $20 a jug of 4.4 L. So it is no brainer to get PP at $21.88.

With PP, I still have to go by the OLM for my OCI for waranty. We had a couple periods of cold snap this winter combine with my mostly city driving, I project my OLM will light up within 6500 -7000 km in range.

Someother Uplander/Montana owners reported that their OLM are good for 10,000km range but I think that was a good mix of city and highway driving.

Take care.

Yestarday at WM I bought a 4.7L (5 Quart) jug of PP 5W-30 for $23.00. I couldn't find the manufacture date on the bottle.

Agreed. YB doesn't go on sale often, and when it does it's not a big discount, same goes for GTX. Other oils do indeed have good sale prices as I mentioned above. Look out for CT's QS dino including QS filter (which is a purolator) for $12.99. That sale was on last summer and again in the fall. I suspect it'll pop up again this spring/summer :)

Originally Posted By: webfors
Yeah, that's a good deal for PP up here in the Great White North eh...

I got a jug of the PP/5w30 at Walmart for that price too, before they were all gone. Ive began stocking up too, when I see a smoking deal on oil.

For the person who said Partsource had Formula Shell for $2.39/L, I buy a case of 12 of those from Costco now and again, and its like $25. it's basically $2/L if you buy it that way. That isnt even on sale. Just a heads up.. I found Sams Club has the same deal, except their 12 pack of oil is Esso red bottle..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back