Mixing a quart of PP 0w40 with Rotella T6 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturn L200 (the L-series, 2.2L Ecotec)

I got some free Rotella T6 5w30 from Shell, but it only comes in (4qt) gallons not 5qt jugs (as every HDEO is sold). The car in question takes 5 quarts. Unfortunately, Shell doesn't sell the T6 5w30 by the quart, and I'm not opening up another gallon just to add a quart.

But I was at Walmart and saw some PP 0w40 on clearance for $1.50/qt, so I bought some. It was made in early 2017, so not too old. Although it's a "Euro" oil, remember that the L-series is basically a European car (rebadged Opel Vectra with a plastic body). Mechanically, it's a Vectra.

Walmart also had some T5 10w30, but those bottles were from 2013 and priced at $3. This may have been a better match for the T6, but the PP was cheaper and it's still Shell/SOPUS, so it will be fine.

So my plan is to add a quart of PP to the gallon of T6, to make 5 quarts. The car has a Hengst ACDelco filter, and it will be replaced with a Purflux.

Normally, I would just use Smitty's from Kmart, but it hasn't been on sale recently! I usually use Smitty's in this car because the 5qt jug often goes on sale for $7-8 a jug, and the OLM suggests a relatively short OCI (often under 5k). It is indeed a real OLM and not a mileage counter.

Also, I used a gallon of the T6 on another car that officially takes 4.2 qt. I just poured in a gallon and left it at that
smile.gif

Is there a problem with any of this?

Funny you ask this! I have no response for you but it's a question I've been pondering all day. Sent my gf to pick up some 50% off mobil1 0w30 and 5w30. Which my engine likes. But I want to run 50/50 mix of one of the Mobil1 oils and my current choice of 0w40 T6 (older formulation). I feel it would be a good mix for my little performance modded 2.0L Turbo LTG Chev engine.

Looking forward to the responses in this thread!

I don't think there will be any problem in mixing the oils so mix away

My question is how did you get the free Rotella?

You got 9 FREE jugs of oil or 36 quarts from Shell. Open another container and use a quart out of it. REALLY????

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
You got 9 FREE jugs of oil or 36 quarts from Shell. Open another container and use a quart out of it. REALLY????

Have to agree, but mostly because I'm OCD about mixing anyhow.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: BAJA_05

Have to agree, but mostly because I'm OCD about mixing anyhow.
wink.gif

I was too until this change from dexos1 to dexos1Gen2. Lets take Valvoline Synpower (Full Synthetic) for instance. The only change on the packaging is the very small dexos logo change. There is no warning on the bottles or on the website against mixing these VERY different additive packages. Valvoline Synpower dexos1 being primarily a high Calcium and Sodium product with no Moly or Boron and very little Magnesium. The 'new' dexos1Gen2 product has no Sodium, very little Calcium, decent Magnesium, Moly and Boron.

And we're talking oils for very cold climates since 0W20 is dexos.

Originally Posted By: Garak
No warning labels because I do all the warning.
wink.gif

LOL! Touche'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back