re: oil change time interval in months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the 5000kms/3000mile rule for an oil change interval has seemed to have been debunked, I was wondering about the other rule that mechanics say, to bring in your car either 3 or 4 months.

The issue for low mileage drivers, is that after 4 months, maybe i only put 3000 or 4000kms, which would take many more months to reach 8000jms

What is generally the rule for the length of time between oil changes? i have to admit i sometimes go 5 or 6 months, and have no idea if that is of any concern at all

I live in a cold climate using "whatever the dealer gives me"
thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum!!!

Higher quality oil and filter products allow you to go 5,000 miles or about 6 months. This is the new (minimum) standard. Vehicles experiencing less cold-starts or more time on the highway (when oil is fully warmed up for an extended period of time) can easily go farther. Extreme severe conditions might necessitate more frequent servicing.

I have had oil in the sump for about 18 months before I put 12000 miles on it and the used oil analysis came back just fine. I know that unused oil typically has a storage life of 4-5 years if not longer provided that it is stored properly.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Higher quality oil and filter products allow you to go 5,000 miles or about 6 months. This is the new (minimum) standard. Vehicles experiencing less cold-starts or more time on the highway (when oil is fully warmed up for an extended period of time) can easily go farther. Extreme severe conditions might necessitate more frequent servicing.

Great advice!

If you let us know a little more about your car, driving style, and commute, we could give a more specific recommendation.

Last edited:
I change my oil once a year.

Whether that works for you or not depends on your driving patterns. If you do a lot of short trips, I'd say change it more often.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I have had oil in the sump for about 18 months before I put 12000 miles on it and the used oil analysis came back just fine. I know that unused oil typically has a storage life of 4-5 years if not longer provided that it is stored properly.

I wish I had done a UOA on the Late 80s / Early 90s M1 Synthetic I ran in the cherokee in 2010 just to see how well it aged.

my car is a mazda 3, the manual says every 8kms or 4 months (schedule 2 for canada)

my use,
i would say about 12000kms/7.5k miles per year.

city/highway driving 90%/10%. commute 2 times a week, short distance.

mostly short trips, high enough for the oil to get to normal temperature most of the time but not for long. average temperature in the winter is -5C/20f to 0deg C/ 32f. a few days of the year go down to 5farenheit

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fixchips
What is generally the rule for the length of time between oil changes?
Generally, 6 months, as it likely covers the vast majority.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I have had oil in the sump for about 18 months before I put 12000 miles on it and the used oil analysis came back just fine.
thumbsup2.gif

I once went 16 months between OCs on the sludge-prone Sienna (about 13k miles), but with no UOA and no known adverse effects; however, M1 EP was in there, so that was kinda cheating.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back