Re:Advanced Auto Parts Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Advanced Auto Parts Store today to buy some Castrol GTX 10w30 oil which was on sale for $1.38 quart (Great Price). Anyway, I noticed Advanced Auto has their own brand of motor oil @ .88 cents a quart or $3.88 per gallon jug. According to the rear label it says "Compare with Havoline" and a counterman said it was made for them by Havoline. My question is should I stick with Castrol GTX or switch to Advanced Auto Oil?
Thanks

If you have some way of verifying that the oil IS actually "Havoline" and is produced by ChevronTexaco since the merger, it's probably decent oil. However, you can still get Chevron Supreme or "Chevron" Havoline branded dino at Target for 68 cents per quart on their clearance sale. That's 20 cents per quart cheaper for a known quantity.

this is highly subjective but i bought some aap motor oil for flushing my gearbox and i compares it to the havoline by colour, and it looks like identical.

i know the colour doesnt mean its the same oil but **** its like the same looking.

I'm not laughing. I used some of the Equilon-made "Havoline" dino in my wife's Cavalier. It stunk. (odor) But, it seemed to work alright, though. I've come across some Pep Boys "Proline" on a vacation to the midwest (Wichita) I used for top-up that had a pronounced fruity-sweet characteristic in addition to the expected petroleum odor. Never understood that. The neighbors think I'm nuts when they see me sniffing oil bottles... Once I thoroughly cleaned an empty several times and partially refilled it with tap water and pancake syrup for color and body. During my next oil change, when I was sure the guys across the street were standing around holding up rakes but really watching me for first signs of the "crazy man" about to snif his oil, I sniffed and then took a swig out of the doctored bottle. They came bounding across the street with a look of stark terror, yelling my name and a few expletives challenging my sanity. I just looked up and and said, "What!?", and then took another swig, being sure to allow a little amber colored drool to roll down my chin. @#$@ed busy-bodies! It WAS labled "SL", after all!...

Ray that story was great!
lol.gif

UnDummy
It is not the 50 cents per quart difference I was concerned with, just wanted feedback on my question. Anyway, thanks for your response.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
I'm not laughing. I used some of the Equilon-made "Havoline" dino in my wife's Cavalier. It stunk. (odor) But, it seemed to work alright, though. I've come across some Pep Boys "Proline" on a vacation to the midwest (Wichita) I used for top-up that had a pronounced fruity-sweet characteristic in addition to the expected petroleum odor. Never understood that. The neighbors think I'm nuts when they see me sniffing oil bottles... Once I thoroughly cleaned an empty several times and partially refilled it with tap water and pancake syrup for color and body. During my next oil change, when I was sure the guys across the street were standing around holding up rakes but really watching me for first signs of the "crazy man" about to snif his oil, I sniffed and then took a swig out of the doctored bottle. They came bounding across the street with a look of stark terror, yelling my name and a few expletives challenging my sanity. I just looked up and and said, "What!?", and then took another swig, being sure to allow a little amber colored drool to roll down my chin. @#$@ed busy-bodies! It WAS labled "SL", after all!...

Are you the kind of guy who goes in for a physical exam, is told to fill the paper cup, behind the closed door fills it with apple juice? The nurse or med tech dips the test strip into the yellow liquid, gets no reading, says, "Hey, something's wrong!" You pick it up, look at it, say, "Looks OK," takes a sip, says, "Tastes OK, too."

Ken

Do you really need to save $.50 a quart?
If so, go for it. Any oil will give an engine a long life if the change interval is reasonable.

Oil sniffers
grin.gif
Society is addicted to too many vapors. Quit it before you get nose cancer.
The pancake syrup/water mix is awesome. People should mind their own business too!

[ March 09, 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: unDummy ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back