Raybestos Superstop Brake Pads

I purchased some Rockauto closeout pads for my '96 Grand Prix. For the rear I chose Raybestos Superstop, seems to be an older line intended for fleet/severe duty use. I found plenty of old forum posts with folks discussing them and they seem well regarded.

After receiving them, I was disappointed to discover that the pads have a friction rating of 'EE'. I understand that rating doesn't tell you everything about a pad, but in my experience, it does seem to correlate with stopping power and brake feel.

Curious if anyone has ever used these pads and what they thought of them. For the fronts, I picked up a set of Brutestop also by Raybestos. Those I believe are more performance oriented and have an 'FF' rating. But that particular pad wasn't in stock for the rear, which is why I went with Superstop. Wondering if I should cut my losses (a few bucks) and buy a better pad for the rear-- but if people have had decent luck with these I'll probably give them a try.

It's a rear pad on a W-body that had notoriously weak rear brakes to begin with. I'm sure you'll be fine with the EE pads, for as much work as they'll be doing.

Heh, yeah it's a **** car and you should just get cheap pads and be done. It should never be driven fast enough that it matters. It will implode, lol, but kudos to you for bearing with it and keeping it running.

However, I would have just gotten lifetime ceramic from somewhere like Autozone a long time ago and stuck with that. Since it is not a vehicle that should be pushed to need performance, what remains is black wheel residue.

Last edited:
Back