Raybestos Rotors or Something Different?

Let me first begin by saying that I do like the Raybestos coated rotors. The picture shows how they look on the CRV at 3 years here in the mid west with salt and mother nature. The car gets park on the street and I'll need to redo the brakes on the next oil change. I seen this all black rotors and wonder if they'll do better under this conditions. Yes more than twice the money but is it worth it????

Attachments

• IMG_7989.JPG
    IMG_7989.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_7997.JPG
    IMG_7997.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 126
Your _7898 photo is representative of pretty much all outside parked vehicles. Mine are no better in Missouri.

I have a set of the coated rotors like your _7997 photo and it really only saves the "bowl" of the hub portion. You're still going to get the rust streaks on the outside and inside edges that the pads don't touch

The rotors shouldn't need to be replaced at 3 yrs they look fine? Those drilled and slotted ones are for performance and do have downsides. likely overkill on a CRV.

The rotors shouldn't need to be replaced at 3 yrs they look fine? Those drilled and slotted ones are for performance and do have downsides. likely overkill on a CRV.
By the time I get to do the brakes again, it will be close to 4 years. I am not sure if this rotors would hold up well for 8 years.

By the time I get to do the brakes again, it will be close to 4 years. I am not sure if this rotors would hold up well for 8 years.
Are they worn down much, how close to minimum thickness. I bought some Raybestos Brute Stop rotors once for my Taurus and they all got radial cracks after two years. They had a lifetime warranty but I was told that was only until I got and used them..

Ive found that rotors usually go 2 sets of brake pads before needing replacement. IF they arent damaged or too thin from hard usage. IMO Those look like you modulate the brakes well and do not abuse. take one to AZ and have them check it.

The cheaper drilled rotors are considerably weakened by the process and will tear up your pads faster than is justified by the performance increase.

That said, it is mad max out there and they do look pretty mean. I also am happy with my raybestos rotors but plan to downgrade when I see a good sale on some slotted. I am hoping for stoptech. If they have one fuel scavenger thinking twice and moving on to easier prey I've made double my money back.

Are they worn down much, how close to minimum thickness. I bought some Raybestos Brute Stop rotors once for my Taurus and they all got radial cracks after two years. They had a lifetime warranty but I was told that was only until I got and used them..
I did not measure the thickness of the rotors just wire brush the rusty stuff out.

Non-coated rotors rust overnight. Your rotors look great for being on the car 3 years!

Do not get drilled rotors.

I don't think there is anything better than what you have on now, so there is nothing wrong with using Raybestos E3 again. Powerstop Geomet coated rotors seem to be the same as your E3, so get whichever costs less.

Have you ever considered Honda OEM Rotors? I have had the best luck using Toyota OEM Rotors on my cars.
But, the only other brand I have tried is NAPA Rotors. It does seem that the 4WD and AWD Rotors don't last like
on my cars.

most brake rotors brand name or not are cast in CHINA, some better than others + coatings like drilling + slots mean nothing in most cases!! a quality solid rotor is easily resurfaced if needed or longer service. i like EBC rotors cast in UK with better metals for better braking + life!!

Have you ever considered Honda OEM Rotors? I have had the best luck using Toyota OEM Rotors on my cars.
But, the only other brand I have tried is NAPA Rotors. It does seem that the 4WD and AWD Rotors don't last like
on my cars.
I'll consider them in my next rotor change!

on my cars.
I finally learned to just go OEM with rotors. I've used every type of rotor on my cars over the years.. Slotted, drilled, both, brembo, EBC, Napa premium, el cheapo's. Etc.

I found that the best ones are OEM. They last the longest, and do not warp like some of my aftermarket ones have.

I ordered Raybestos drums for my 1990 Ford Ranger XLT. they had big weights welded on them. I put them on my bubble balancer and they were way off. Over an ounce off. Put the old ones on the balancer just to check and they were perfect balanced. They were from AAP, the old ones. Raybestos messed up on these. Had new tires put on last Thursday at Sam's club. Back end of truck shook badly. Next day I put the old drums back on. No shaking now.

I ordered Raybestos drums for my 1990 Ford Ranger XLT. they had big weights welded on them. I put them on my bubble balancer and they were way off. Over an ounce off. Put the old ones on the balancer just to check and they were perfect balanced. They were from AAP, the old ones. Raybestos messed up on these. Had new tires put on last Thursday at Sam's club. Back end of truck shook badly. Next day I put the old drums back on. No shaking now.
I've also had a set of vatozone rotors that were way off true. I put them on, tightened the lugs to spec, and they wobbled so bad it was ridiculous

Back