Raybestos E3 rotors rusting earlier than expected

I put raybestos E3 pads and rotors last year end of fall while swapping on winter tires. This year while swapping tires the front rotors looked like this.
I logged down the mileage when I put them on. The car is garaged and it accumulated 3k km since first installed.

It's rusting faster than last centric premium rotors set. That took around 2-3 years before looking like this.

Am I over expecting the protection layer they put on?

20231111_215843.jpg

20231111_215850.jpg

You'll still get years of service out of that rotor.

I'm guessing you get a lot of salt on your roads. Try Max Advanced brakes (Ontario based) for rotors, I've had good results from their black coated rotors.

I'd be more worried about having to take off that rusty CV axel nut.

Last edited:
I put raybestos E3 pads and rotors last year end of fall while swapping on winter tires. This year while swapping tires the front rotors looked like this.
I logged down the mileage when I put them on. The car is garaged and it accumulated 3k km since first installed.

It's rusting faster than last centric premium rotors set. That took around 2-3 years before looking like this.

View attachment 195860
View attachment 195861
Do you clean the wheels and what do you use? Looking at the rest of the hardware, caliper and axle nut there seems to be more to this that road salt.

View attachment 195860
View attachment 195861
Rust is a chemical process. If your garage is heated that can accelerate rusting of metal.

I assume they use salt on the roads where you live?

Kinda disappointing. The E3 coated have been my go to for a while now. Might have to stick with the OEM Toyota coated now. I rarely see those crusty like that.

I’ve had similar experience with E3 rotors. The rust prevention coating is trash.

No, you’re not over expecting. There are other rotors at the same price, with the same quality whose coating lasts much longer.

I’ve gone back to using Wagner with the black e-coat. It lasts 4x as long as the E3. If you can find them for your application, the coated AC Delco rotors are awesome too.

That's not bad for being on the car more than a year where there's lots of rust! Non-coated rotors rust completely in a few hours. And when it is time to replace them, the rotors will slide off nice and easy :)

I put E3’s on her 2015 Altima in May. Rears are starting to look like this. Oem rotors taken off.

Bought car new in Louisiana, moved back to MA in 2018. Fronts were really crusty

Attachments

• IMG_5892.jpg
    IMG_5892.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5893.jpg
    IMG_5893.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5895.jpg
    IMG_5895.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5894.jpg
    IMG_5894.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 63
Looks worse than expected to me. The rotors on the elantra look like new.. the OEMs rusted off in 3 years.

How often do you wash car /clean wheels. Also parking salty car in heated garage will greatly accelerate rust.

I have been buying the element stuff as well, but the rust and mixed inventory from RA/az has been a turnoff.

one pair of rotors had a slight high sport out of the box purchased 6 months ago. Returned those asap. replacement set is rusting faster then Id like. I do have a set thats probably a year or so, and thats been excellent. These are both work vehicles, so washing regularly does not happen. The older pair seems great, the newer production units meh.

I bought a pair of drums that were element 3, one was entirely coated while the other was missing the coating on the hub area. emailed ra, told me to pound sand since it didnt effect fitment. They would do a refund, if i shipped the unit on my dime.

Do you clean the wheels and what do you use? Looking at the rest of the hardware, caliper and axle nut there seems to be more to this that road salt.
The car is old and has over 330k km. That's why the other hardware are old, but those parts shouldn't affect the rotor.

Rust is a chemical process. If your garage is heated that can accelerate rusting of metal.

I assume they use salt on the roads where you live?
Not heated and I actually only did 2-3 drives in snow last year with this car as I was still recovering from medical reasons.

I’ve had similar experience with E3 rotors. The rust prevention coating is trash.

No, you’re not over expecting. There are other rotors at the same price, with the same quality whose coating lasts much longer.

I’ve gone back to using Wagner with the black e-coat. It lasts 4x as long as the E3. If you can find them for your application, the coated AC Delco rotors are awesome too.
Thanks. I used to use the black coated rotors on all the cars. I thought to be explorative this time around and try a fully coated one to help reduce the rust lip where the pads doesn't get to.

Next time I'll go back to the black ones.

Doesn't look amazing. On my Jetta I too put on new rotors last fall before swapping to winters. They are Zimmermann Coat Z's and here's what they looked like a year and 9000km later.

IMG_3169.jpg
IMG_3168.jpg

Unfortunately Zimmermann brakes aren't available for my other cars and I was seriously considering going with Raybestos E3 rotors, but I think I won't after seeing that.

I was using the Raybestos E3 rotors and pads for a couple of years, but after a horrible brake shudder on a '15 Odyssey I have moved on.

Back