Ravenol DFE 0W-20 vs Ravenol ECS SAE 0W-20

I'm between these 2 motor oils for a Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5L with the 4A91 engine:
Their properties can be seen at the bottom of each one's webpage following the aforementioned links.

Is really any of them superior compared to the other for this specific engine? (I see that the DFE has newer approvals API SP (RC) and ILSAC GF-6A, – if this practically means anything – but the ECS has a recommendation – I guess by Ravenol – for Mitsubishi.)

I'm between these 2 motor oils for a Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5L with the 4A91 engine:
Their properties can be seen at the bottom of each one's webpage following the aforementioned links.

Is really any of them superior compared to the other for this specific engine? (I see that the DFE has newer approvals API SP (RC) and ILSAC GF-6A, – if this practically means anything – but the ECS has a recommendation – I guess by Ravenol – for Mitsubishi.)
Based on Gokhan formula the ECS seem to be a better oil.
Ravenol 0W-20.jpg

Last edited:
Both are USVO... I'd use the thicker one since your engine has a timing chain.
Don't care for formulas and prefer what I've used in the past to protect engines.... viscosity.

@js1956
What exactly are the Gokhan formulas. Who has run these tests?

@Greasymechtech
I didn't know that timing chains required a higher viscosity oil. With that logic maybe a 5W-30 would be better than a 0W-20 oil. On the other hand I don't think anyone has timing chain issues with this engine. Furthermore, regarding oil consumption even with 0W-20 oils and harsh driving I would say that consumption is low, around 500 ml (0.5 qt) every 3k - 4k miles.

Both are USVO... I'd use the thicker one since your engine has a timing chain.
Don't care for formulas and prefer what I've used in the past to protect engines.... viscosity.
ECS Base Oil KV40 and KV100 has higher shear rate than DFE so based on that I would choose ECS.

1/2 point in viscosity over 100th's in HTHS. When I want HTHS, and look for 4-5 tenths more and don't even believe in any 100ths accuracy. 1/10, if you round up/down, is nothing.

Last edited:
In the end if the differences are not major, maybe price should be another parameter. ECS is cheaper than DFE.

Back