Rate these 5w20 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: beanoil
Valvoline has stepped up and has guaranteed the engine for 150k on conventional. QS has always had a 250k policy. I like all of them, and your results should be virtually the same with any of them. But if you are a record keeper, and are going to drive the car until it dies, the warranty may mean something to you. There really aren't many "bad "oils out there any more. If it were a carnival dart game, you are more likely to hit a balloon and get a prize than not.
The warranty is marketing B.S. in my opinion... Read it carefully, they don't cover a whole lot, plus changing your oil at 3K miles is a waste of money. I would buy an SM rated dino change at 5-6K miles and save the difference and invest it. You could probably pay for a new engine if something goes wrong with your old one with the money you saved and if nothing happens (99% in your favour) then you got lots of money saved towards your next car! Plus you kept the money out of these greedy oil companies pockets and helped to save the environment with half as many oil changes...
wink.gif

How is the Mobil 1 5W20? How is it on sludge/cleaning your engine? Thanks.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 5W20 should be fine. Mobil 1 oils are highly respected for cleaning up an engine and keeping an engine clean. With that in mind I would use PP 5w20. It does very well in UOA's, does some nice cleaning, and is less expensive, but that's JMO.

AD

Hi Johnny,

I'm running Mobil 1 0w20 in my 08 Jeep at the moment. I put it in late last year just before the SHTF with Mobil 1 and Valvoline. No complaints with the oil, I'm due to change it out shortly. I've read so much about engine noise etc with the 20 grade oils, I haven't heard any yet. Even when I ran Formula Shell 5W20 in a 170,000 + mile 93 Aerostar.

Frank D

I am beginning to agree with SteveC. If it's SM GF-4 and a name brand, with 3-5K changes, everything else is overkill.

Formula Shell it is for 2.69 a qt!

Originally Posted By: Badlees
Try Castrol GTX 5w20 if you can't decide.

That would be my choice of all of the conventional 5w20s. However, with the list provided:

PYB
Motorcraft
Valvoline
QS
Formula Shell

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
I am beginning to agree with SteveC. If it's SM GF-4 and a name brand, with 3-5K changes, everything else is overkill.

Formula Shell it is for 2.69 a qt!

At Wally World a 5 qt container of Motorcraft 5W-20/30 is $2.30/qt. I bought several oil changes worth of Mobil 1 0W-20 and Mobil 1 oil filters for $29.00 at AA during their last sale for my 2002 F-150 4.6. I decided since I only run around 5,000 miles in a year now that I'll stick with the Mortorcraft 5W-20 and Motorcraft filter. I use LC20 for the oil and FP60 for the fuel. So I should be fine even with the more "local" driving I do. The Mobil 1 0W-20 and Mobil 1 filter will go in my wife's 4.6 2005 Explorer. She drives twice the mileage I do, mostly on highway. I will extend her OCI to 10,000 mile with using LC20 and Mobil 1 oil filter. I will do an UOA for the first 10,000 mile OCI.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back