Rate these 5w20 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the group weigh in on rating these 5w20 dinos from best to worst?

1. Pennzoil
2. Valvoline
3. Motorcraft Blend
4. Quaker State
5. Formula Shell

Thanks!

1. Motorcraft Blend @ $11.50
2. Pennzoil @ $12.00
3. Quaker State @10.50
4. Valvoline @ $13.50
5. Formula Shell @ ?????

That would be my order especially for the 5w20 weight. MC has a price edge in jugs, and it's just my preference in that weight. Used it a bunch.

Now, for the other weights I'd likely put PYB first @ $12.00, and MC would drop based on a price that only comes in qts.

I've used them all except for QS recently. But @ 10.50 a jug, I now have 2 in my stash.

Being that I would trust them all, price and availabilty in jugs is a big factor for me.

All prices @ WW

Last edited:
What do VOAs and UOAs show????

We might be able to compare to some extent on paper from the fluid basic properties and the looks of the add pack. The best oil is the oil that produces the lowest wear via UOA for YOUR engine and YOUR driving style/profile.

I do not know enough about shell to comment... I'd put pennzoil and motorcraft up there, but my feelings on valvoline are mixed. I think youll want to keep havoline in the mix too...

Originally Posted By: Johnny
IMHO

1. Pennzoil
2. Motorcraft
3. Quaker State
4. Formula Shell
5. Valvoline

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Iain
You left this off list:
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_Clean_5000_5W-20.aspx

I would rate it as first, followed by Motorcraft blend. I wouldn't even consider rest of the lot.
For me, no can do in the 5w20 weight. No jugs in that weight, only $2.57 qts. That gives MC the advantage in that weight, IMO.

At $11.00 a jug in the other weights. I'd put it there with QS and PYB (give it the edge) to a lesser extent. JMO.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
IMHO

1. Pennzoil
2. Motorcraft
3. Quaker State
4. Formula Shell
5. Valvoline

thumbsup2.gif

Although in 5K intervals you won't see any difference between these IMO!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
Could the group weigh in on rating these 5w20 dinos from best to worst?

1. Pennzoil
2. Valvoline
3. Motorcraft Blend
4. Quaker State
5. Formula Shell

Thanks!

Of those listed the MC blend would be 1st then a toss up on the rest.

If all were priced the same I would use them in this order:
1)Pennzoil
2)Motorcraft
3)Valvoline
4)QS
5)FS

At current prices I would use them in this order:
1)Pennzoil @ $12 for a 5 qt jug.
2)Motorcraft @ $11.50 "
3)QS @ $10.50 "
4)FS
5)Valvoline @ $13.50 "

I think you'll get great results with any of them at 5K intervals so price is a deciding factor.
I do think that Pennzoil makes a great dino oil.

Valvoline has stepped up and has guaranteed the engine for 150k on conventional. QS has always had a 250k policy. I like all of them, and your results should be virtually the same with any of them. But if you are a record keeper, and are going to drive the car until it dies, the warranty may mean something to you. There really aren't many "bad "oils out there any more. If it were a carnival dart game, you are more likely to hit a balloon and get a prize than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back