Rant: Water Filter for refrigerator prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed an R/O system at the kitchen sink almost twenty years ago. The water here is OK, but doesn't taste awesome, either. Good tasting tap water is hard to find in any Texas metro area. Since my refrigerator is not located in a place to be able to plumb a line from the R/O to it I just keep a large jug with spigot in the refrigerator and I make my own ice. It's worth it.

Are you guys aware that there is a legitimate business which helps the people who are afraid of germs to get over their phobia? They artificially introduce germs in their life (for money) to improve their immunity.

That business has enough money to sponsor radio programs. I am guessing some venture fund has financed them.

My point? The town water is NOT going to kill you.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Are you guys aware that there is a legitimate business which helps the people who are afraid of germs to get over their phobia? They artificially introduce germs in their life (for money) to improve their immunity.

That business has enough money to sponsor radio programs. I am guessing some venture fund has financed them.

My point? The town water is NOT going to kill you.

Never said it would, don't think anyone else did either.
Heck, I drank a lot of hose water today when I was mowing the grass, so I am not afraid of the water itself, just when I am sitting inside and want a glass of ice water I want one that does not taste weird.

The majority of large cities in Texas get water from man made reservoirs. It tends to be pretty hard water and the treatments plants put plenty of chlorine into it. I study the annual water quality report every year and have seen a steady increase in the contaminant levels. Still, I do not feel it is unsafe. As stated by blupupher, it's not unsafe. It just doesn't taste very good. I am no germaphobe. Since I drink a lot of water I just want it to taste good and I don't want to have to buy it by the bottle or get it delivered.

You never can tell, though. I'm sure the people in Flint thought their water tasted just fine.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Heck, I drank a lot of hose water today when I was mowing the grass, so I am not afraid of the water itself, just when I am sitting inside and want a glass of ice water I want one that does not taste weird.

Actually, you probably should be MORE paranoid about drinking that hose water, especially with most of them coming from China now a days:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/06/2...om-garden-hose/

"Of the 90 water hoses used in the study, all contained lead and phthalates that exceeded levels set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Thirty-three percent of those hoses contained lead levels higher than the guidelines set in the federal Safe Drinking Water Standard.

The four phthalates found in the water are currently banned from being used in children’s products.

The tests also showed that the drinking water from a hose contained PVC plastic additives, which can cause birth defects, liver toxicity, and cancer."
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Actually, you probably should be MORE paranoid about drinking that hose water, especially with most of them coming from China now a days:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/06/2...om-garden-hose/

"Of the 90 water hoses used in the study, all contained lead and phthalates that exceeded levels set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Thirty-three percent of those hoses contained lead levels higher than the guidelines set in the federal Safe Drinking Water Standard.

The four phthalates found in the water are currently banned from being used in children’s products.

The tests also showed that the drinking water from a hose contained PVC plastic additives, which can cause birth defects, liver toxicity, and cancer."
grin.gif

The hose is probably 10 years ago, so no idea. Anything leaching out is probably out.

I have a 3 year old Amana side by side fridge. The 800 dollar special from Lowes. This is a Whirlpool clone and uses the PUR filters that you describe.

I bought some off brand filters, twice they spit out black muck out of my water spout (carbon).

The third one leaked.

After that I stick with the OEM filters. I buy them on amazon. $35 each for 6 months.

[

quote=blupupher]So like many I am sure I have a refrigerator with a built in water dispenser and/or ice maker that require a built in filter.
My refrigerator (Whirlpool 2555A) uses part # 4396710 (now appears to be a new model # EDR3RXD1).
About 3 years ago, I bought two 2-packs (4 filters) of Whirlpool 4396710 filters for $96, so about $24 each. I thought it was costly then, but I am now finding the same deal on Amazon is $138 for just 2 filters!
After a lot of searching around, cheapest I can find for an actual Whirlpool or Pur brand EDR3RXD1 filter (not a compatible brand, I have never had good experience with them) is $30 on e-bay (which I ordered and hope to get an actual name brand and not a knockoff). Nothing on Amazon is near this price, most are around $40 each for the name brand.

Why have these things gotten so expensive? Is it all the knockoffs out there? I can understand the older part # being more since it has been replaced with a new part number, but still, seems to cost a lot for what it is.
I used to have a behind the frige filter, and it was like $10-15 and lasted longer since it was a bigger filter. While a pain in the rear to change, it is cheaper and lasted longer. [/quote]

These small canister filters contain the equivalent of 2 bricks of Kingsford Charcoal. We all know that stuff is really expensive!

While you may not have had good luck with alternative filters, I have. I purchased a 3 pack on Amazonian for $44. They work exactly like the others.

I would be tempted to ditch the proprietary over priced fridge filters and install a simple cartridge filter kit in your line, something like this :

http://www.waterfilters.net/pentek-158138-blue-water-filter-housing.html
pentek-158003-5-bl-blk_thumbnail.jpg
pentek-158110-5-clear_thumbnail.jpg

It uses a $9 - $14, 6 month filter like this:

http://www.waterfilters.net/culligan-pentek-c2-water-filter.html
http://www.waterfilters.net/pentek-gac-5-carbon-water-filters.html
kx_technologies_32_250_125_050_01.jpg

There are many brands. Go to a local jobber like Ferguson, that sells to public, and you can get the filters locally, IF you live near a decent sized city. Go to a ten inch filter if you drink many thousands of gallons per 6 months. IF you have a basement, you can probably mount it there for easy access.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
... I buy them on amazon. $35 each for 6 months.

Got a link? Cheapest Whirlpool/PUR I could find was $40.

Price varies every time I buy it.

Now I see they are now changing the part number scheme to Whirlpool not PUR anymore.

I always wondered what was in these things, and this thread was just the motivation I needed to do a C&P! This is from a Frigidaire and is the OEM filter. I was surprised to see a filter element inside, I was expecting nylon and loose charcoal for some reason. The element itself was nothing but a hard plasticy/rubber substance that I can't imagine water flowing through. The endcaps were on tight, but I managed to make one a popper!

I am now questioning the effectiveness of this filter, it almost seems like the water flows around this element for flavor/taste. Does anyone know how these work? The black element was a hollow tube.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I always wondered what was in these things, and this thread was just the motivation I needed to do a C&P! This is from a Frigidaire and is the OEM filter. I was surprised to see a filter element inside, I was expecting nylon and loose charcoal for some reason. The element itself was nothing but a hard plasticy/rubber substance that I can't imagine water flowing through. The endcaps were on tight, but I managed to make one a popper!

I am now questioning the effectiveness of this filter, it almost seems like the water flows around this element for flavor/taste. Does anyone know how these work? The black element was a hollow tube.

Don't freak out, but the water treatment industry has roughly similar products, so yes, I'd trust it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back