Rant on Wal Mart Express Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't go to walmart. they try to upsell you on batteries and new tires. I guess they got tired of their batteries collecting dust on the shelves. they do a free "battery test" even on a brand new car. don't ask me how I know. with upselling new tires, they do tire repair 6.50/tire. I had a tire bought there three months ago. they called me back saying "the tire can't be plugged, there are two nails close to each other" I came home, plugged the tire myself. there was only one small nail. This was the second time they tried to sell me a tire instead of doing the tire repair. no more walmart tire and lube express for me and I only used them for tire repairs. My wife has a tendency to get nails in her tire every year. She will drive over broken glass and won't think twice about it.

Agreed OriginHacker21. I have had vehicles serviced at two Walmarts in my area. One is well run and comparable to the dealer or any other shop. The other is incompetent. Price is now $39 for a synthetic (your choice) oil change. Independent shops using Amsoil 10w-30 ATM or 5w-30 ASL run $50-57. Local small town Ford dealer charges $26 for a change with MC 5-20 and a MC filter, perhaps the best deal for someone not interested in extended drains.

never had my oil changed there but got 4 new tires mounted and balanced and they did a quality job. I consider tires a step more complicated for the DIY-er.

I take mine to a local garage. I supply the filter, washer and oil and they charge me $10 labor. There has to be a local garage around you that would love your families business. There are GM dealers around me that charge $29.95 and guarantee 30 minute service. There is a Monroe muffler that does 19.95 oil changes and on Tuesday it's $14.95 at the end of my street.
Check around you'll find someone close.
The Volvo dealer by me charges less than the Iffy Lube 2 blocks down the street.

ALS, great suggestions. Giving your business to businesses that you want to keep in business is good business. Or, keep going to WalMart and expect WalMart service from everyone else.

My WalMart does a good job for me with new tires, my daughters oil changes and battery replacement. I do stay and watch and have been well satisifed.

quote:

Originally posted by GMorg:
Dude! Its WalMart! You are having service done at a place that sells plastic toys and potato chips.

LOL great line.
lol.gif

Agree with others, take care of it yourself.

With that said though, I have bought our last 2 sets of tires from W-M and they actually did OK installing them.

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
I'm sure you have a very good reason for not changing your Mom's oil yourself; so let's hear it.

My mom is concerned about my safety with beig under cars. I asked to changed her oil several times and she refused. I'm lucky she doesn't do much about me changing my car's oil besides nagging me to be careful. In addition to that the school year is coming to a close and I have been so busy that I don't have time. I have four AP exams and the teachers decide to pile on work even though we graduate in two weeks. But next time I'm going to ask local mechanics what they'll charge if I brought my own filter and oil. Another thing I like about bringing it to somewhere is that I have solid evidence that the oil has been changed just in case there was a flaw in the design of this engine and it sludges. I know that this will be unlikely but from the day that I found out that the older Camrys sludge I have been concerned with this car. We take good care of our cars so I'm not worried just alert. Anyways reading what some of you wrote makes sense. At least I know where some people who drop out of school end up besides McDonald's.

It takes me about 1hr 15 mins to change oil and filter, including setup, cleanup, disposing old oil, and buying new oil. I put a couple pieces of 6x6 wood under the car just in case the tires suddenly pop.

How long did it take to drive to the Wal Mart, have the job done, and drive home? How long would you have to work to earn $38 *after taxes*? Add those two. I bet it's much more than 75 minutes.

Maybe you can find a friend nearby who can do it cheaper, as long as you know what mistakes can be made, and can watch for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back