Rant: How are people (e.g. car sellers) so stupid?

I always thought that being a cash buyer showed that you were serious about the purchase.

I’m surprised that people have the opposite opinion about those words.

I bought a car in October. A used car but a very nice one. From California. Cash. Said I was a cash buyer on my initial inquiry. The dealer was very interested in talking to me, made a video for me about the car, negotiated in good faith, was quick in responding, even arranged for shipping of the car. Cash worked well.

I bought another car in December. Used. Not as nice, but still not cheap. Contacted the seller, a private person and told him I was a cash buyer. He told me the car was sold. He contacted me a few days later when the deal fell through over terms. I sent a certified check for the deposit via FedEx and we were good. Brought a certified check for the agreed balance when I went to see the car. I liked the car, handed him the check. Cash. Private sale. Everybody was happy.

A cash transaction was far cleaner and easier in both recent cases.

I’ve bought new only a couple times. Financed those at very low rates, but I don’t see why cash is perceived as “fake”.

Is it because people use the words without actually having the cash? I get the dealership stake in financing, but for private sale? Small dealer out of state? Cash is far better.

Finally, I don’t think dealers or their staff actually read what prospective buyers say. I inquired about a new 4Runner from a local dealer in November.

They did not answer my direct questions, just asked when I could come in. I answered that I was flying, and could not come in. I wanted to know how much they were marking up, if they had a TRD model in stock, and what incentives they were offering. They sent me pictures of a Limited model and pressured the test drive. Didn’t want a Limited. Not interested.

So, I walked into the dealership on my next day off. Dressed casually, as I was working on cars that day.

Got totally ignored by the salespeople when I asked about the 4Runner on the showroom floor.

Then the sales manager emails me asking how my search is going and what they can do to help me buy a new 4 Runner. Well, for starters, look up from your computer when I’m outside your office. Answer my questions. Talk about the model I’m interested in, not just the one you have for sale.

The next week, I found the Volvo I bought in December. Set up the sale, drove it home.

With that car now sitting in my driveway, another email shows up from the Toyota sales manager, asking when I can come in.

Can’t come in now, I said. You blew me off, didn’t answer my questions, didn’t help me in your showroom, so I bought a car from someone else. I’ve got another car now, don’t need the 4 Runner. Not interested in a 4Runner any more after a month of looking, being ignored, and deciding to get a Volvo.

He sends me an email in reply, stating that they have lots of new 4Runners in stock, asking when I can come in to look at them.

I just scratched my head, wondering what he was reading when he sent that.

Another thing not to say(doesn't pertain to you) is, telling the sales person what you want your payment to be. They will certainly get it there when in fact, you may have done better/lower with some hard negotiating.
Funny I tell them zero when they ask. Don't we all want a payment of 0

I just sold a vehicle online. As a seller, I easily started noticing patterns. And these patterns started determining how much initial effort that I put into any potential buyer.

As a buyer, ask a couple of rather simple questions... right off the bat. Don't just ask for 'more information'. Some people are dull (I'm trying to be polite here) when it comes to cars, and this is a challenge. They may not know what to tell you.. Read the ad, and make sure that your answers aren't already there. A couple of questions right away tended to grab my attention... this person is really interested and actually thought it through. Do something that sets you apart from the zombies who respond with "Is this still available" question. I responded to at least 40 of those, and nothing ever came of it.

There is no shortage of people out there who want it for 20-25% less than asking price.... and don't appear to care about the item at all. I assume that they are either curbstoners trying to flip anything to make a buck, wholesalers, or someone buying for a "buy here, pay here" lot. I was swamped with these. Some inquiries from 400-500 miles away. I don't care how interested you are, it's not worth it. I'll wait for a truly interested buyer who is less than 150 miles away. On Facebook Marketplace, I had to block several of these idiots, as they literally would not take "no" for an answer, and kept contacting me over and over.

You have to put a little effort into it, and somehow separate yourself from all of the others.

Last edited:
Gresham's Law states, in essence, that a natural filter will cause the "good" cars to disappear from listings quickly (by selling!) while the clunkers and clueless sellers clutter the database.

I buy from clueless sellers, but only certain kinds. Facebook marketplace is great because I can "profile" sellers before I even contact them. I want someone inexperienced, with only one item for sale, who's been on facebook for a while, and who looks like they throw money around.

When I make contact, I'm all business. "Hi, I'm [eljefino] in [town] and I'd like to come see the car, I'm available all evening, when works for you?"

It includes a non-intimidating deadline, a bias for action, and a reassurance that I'm local and not a robot.

I consider it rude to start negotiating via messenger-- I wait until I'm in person for "the kill." It usually surprises people and they're more likely to go along with it. Generally I agree with the seller about the condition they mention in the ad, but bring up something I find that "they didn't know about."

To me "cash buyer" is a seedy dealer term which guarantees the lowest price paid.
Since it is a private sale, cash is implied because I am not going to finance it anyway.

That said I don't want your cash. If I sell a $10K car I don't want a certified check or a roll of $100 bills.
I want us both to go to their bank and them to pay me cash or deposit it in my bank.
If long distance, I prefer a wire transfer. (a cleared one)
I totally get why the term or phrase "cash buyer" is a turn off.

The OP and the person selling the car are made for each other. The seller posts little information and 2 pictures.

OP responds with Provide more pictures and information.

What specifically did you want to know? You've provided a list of things you'd have liked to have seen in the ad - perhaps specifically asking for them may have made a difference.

As far as the Cash comment, my experience as of late is anyone stating I'll pay cash (often with "today") are the buyers who are the biggest pain in the back side... I'm assuming if you are interested, you have the means to pay for it.... The last I'll pay Cash today buyer I dealt with on something then proceeded to miss an appointment that day, asked for another location the next day I had not agreed to, and then would not pick up their items where I indicated they were and expected me to drop everything to bring the item to them for the lower price we agreed to.

Eventually gave up, and sold the item(s) to another buyer for less who showed up where I said I would be at the right time with the money in hand. Helps when you advertise truthfully - item is as described....

It is kinda hard to read people's minds to determine what questions to preemptly answer. Plus, there are over 7B of us on the earth right now; no 2 of us think exactly alike or have the same backgrounds. Or are on BITOG...
Perhaps make a boilerplate list of your questions and use that. No guranatees a seller will answer or even understand, or tell the truth. But it's worth a try... All good Charles.

And I am in you court; I always inform sellers that I am a qualified cash buyer.

Huh?
It's a car. How about list some of the information a person would want to know about it. We're not recreating the wheel. In fact, to help, most online ads actually have areas to FILL IN THE BLANKS which the sellers are often too stupid or lazy to do.

Which is btw another red flag. If a person is to stupid or lazy to do that, it's likely the car was also neglected out of ignorance or laziness. If a person is so dumb they have to ask, "What information do you want to know?" On a blank slate vehicle sale ad, I guess I just need to not bother with it...

I guess this rant has run its course.

It has.

Self-awareness. Progress. Proud of you (kind of.)

What do you have next for we stupid people?

I understand a part of what the OP is saying though.
If you want to sell the vehicle, at least fill in the blanks that the sites provide. So many don't have mileage, title status, trim information, or any good pic (a single sideways pic from 50 feet away tells me nothing).
You should see the Ebay ad I posted yesterday. 220 photos and a college thesis description. :ROFLMAO:
while I don't go that far when I list a vehicle, I will post 15-30 photos (or the max allowed) with several interior and exterior pics (and post a pic of the engine compartment, if not more than one), and quite a bit of info on the vehicle (mileage, year, trim, maintenance info, recent repairs, tire condition, any noted damage inside or out, etc) .
When I posted my motorcycle for sale (on FB and Craigslist) I actually received a few messages regarding the details of my listing from people not even wanting to buy it, just commenting on it. The guy that bought it said part of the reason was because of the completeness of the listing and info available. He said I gave info he never even thought about.

I use photo hosting so no limit on the number of pics. 15-30 photos might be enough just for the outside shots. I don't get people asking questions if it's already in the description or photos.

Did you watch the documentary "Idiocracy"? The scene where he ends up in the health clinic and the gal is pushing a button with a picture on it that represents what the patient feels like.

I had some major branded (can't remember now, maybe Totoya?) dealership in Houston advertise a very low mileage 300ZX on Car Gurus. I emailed the dealership through Car Gurus to inquire about the car.

To this day I'm still getting emails wanting me to set up an appointment to come test drive a brand new (whichever brand they sell) and never a mention of the 300ZX.

I'm all about not wasting my time when I post something for sale. I'll post 4 maybe 5 pictures with a brief paragraph or so, to give enough info for a prospective buyer to form an opinion whether he's interested or not. Some of the questions asked gotta be from kids playing around online, and never get responded to. My stand is, if your interested in what I'm selling ,you'll make an appointment to see it in person. You know the person is not a serious buyer, when the say how much they will give you sight unseen. I'm not going to fill out a cradle to grave report about everything that was done to a car worth less then $5000. If you want it don't be a moron, and come see it for yourself.,,,,

I'm not going to fill out a cradle to grave report about everything that was done to a car worth less then $5000. If you want it don't be a moron, and come see it for yourself.,,,,
Well and that's the thing, who wants the moral liability of some broke single mother with 4 kids buying your car then showing up eight months later because the fan belt broke, it overheated, and she's homeless because she got fired from her job?

I speak in vagaries-- runs and drives fine, rust isn't bad, state inspected until MM/YY...

Huh?
It's a car. How about list some of the information a person would want to know about it. We're not recreating the wheel. In fact, to help, most online ads actually have areas to FILL IN THE BLANKS which the sellers are often too stupid or lazy to do.

Which is btw another red flag. If a person is to stupid or lazy to do that, it's likely the car was also neglected out of ignorance or laziness. If a person is so dumb they have to ask, "What information do you want to know?" On a blank slate vehicle sale ad, I guess I just need to not bother with it...

Point being It wouldn’t have been a huge deal to ask specifically what you were wanting answered instead of just an endless circle.

If it annoys you that much to where that outweighs your interest in the car, yes you probably shouldn’t even bother.

Pardon my rant, but just pursuing ads for car sales, I am just staggered at how sellers are just so dense, oblivous, or outright lazy or stupid. A typical advert shows 1 or 2 really useless photos of the vehicle. The description provides almost nothing useful. It may as well just be a hand drawing and the words, "car." But I am interested, so I inquire politely.

I'll generally send an email saying something like, "Hi, I'm a cash buyer interested in your XYZ. Can you provide more information and pictures please? Thanks."

That often, like today, elicits their moronic follow up, "What would you like to know?"

Am I alone in thinking that humans have gotten to be almost too stupid to exist? Do I honestly, really need to give a litany of things that are relatively basic, that any prospective buyer would like to know? Is this where we are at as a society, that I need to say, "Hey look moron, how about the basics, such as mileage, maintenance records/history, any known issues, rust, etc. How about some useful pictures of the underbody, engine, interior, exterior on all sides, and please in the daylight not in darkness..."

Thanks for letting me rant. Dealing with people really sucks most of the time b/c the average person is just too stupid to breath the same air as me, it seems. There should be a stupid penalty, where I get to kick them in the groin.

Before I even read this keep in mind, half of all people are BELOW mean intelligence. Even money on whether you are dealing with someone above or below the intelligence mean.

Once you learn that and keep it in mind when dealing with the general public as a whole, the less likely you are to be surprised when you encounter those below the mean.

Before I even read this keep in mind, half of all people are BELOW mean intelligence. Even money on whether you are dealing with someone above or below the intelligence mean.

Once you learn that and keep it in mind when dealing with the general public as a whole, the less likely you are to be surprised when you encounter those below the mean.
Yeah, you might be dealing with me. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Back