Ranger manual/clutch/piston issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend's son recently purchased a 1993 Ranger with 5sp MT; 93K miles.

He said recently he found it tough to get into reverse; today something happened and the clutch pedal now goes to the floor; he can shift thru the gears, but with the engine running it is like the clutch is completely disengaged all the time.

PO said the clutch was recently replaced.

A kind soul who owns a shop took interest and said these MTs are pretty finicky when bleeding the master cylinder and maybe the PO f'd the job up and dumped the vehicle; (I drove it and didn't have a problem shifting) Resev is topped off.

What could be the situation here. I was thinking thru the situation and thought if the clutch piston failed, the clutch should have been engaged, not disengaged. Am I right here?

Any help would be appreciated.

The kind soul is dropping by tomorrow to help bleed the MC. An inspection thru the inspection hole did not show the throw out bearing moving (I was told this)

Shortly after buying the Rat, I joined 2 Ranger sites. The party line advised me to pretty much replace everything you can under the bell housing. The hope is that you will never have to drop the M5OD again. Especially on a 4X4 like the Rat. I've used a lot of different tools to "git 'er done" First time I ever used a sawzall to take out a transmission.
grin2.gif

If it is disengaged all the time it is not a bleeding issue that would be the other way so I vote that either the clutch cover broke

Originally Posted By: hansj3
Sounds like a bad master/slave to me

X2 and you really need a pressure bleeder on these due to the dip in the hydraulic line

Last edited:
"he can just shift through all the gears while its running and it does nothing?"

so does that mean he can free shift through the gears while its running.

or not get it into any gear (like there is no clutch)

Slave cylinder is a known weak spot on these. Requires dropping the transmission to replace.. esp. pita on 4x4... not horrible on 2wd.

The Ranger clutch master/slave is a PITA to bleed. As I bought new, mine came with directions. The MC, when mounted, will never bleed. It needs to be unbolted and tilted forward and down. Clip the line on it, tilt it forward . Let it drip then plug it into the slave. Open the slave's bleeder. When the fluid runs clear. close the bleeder, Screw the MC to the firewall. Done

Has all the fluid run out?

I'm still not clear what you're describing. If you shift into first with the engine stopped and then leave it in gear and start the engine, does the truck move?

If it's a 4x4 and the clutch seems to never engage and let the truck move, also consider the possibility that the transfer case may be in neutral.

Then try loosening (don't remove) the hydraulic line at the master cylinder. An unlikely but I suppose possible problem with the MC could let pressure build up and not be released which would be like holding the clutch pedal down all the time.

If there's no pressure in the line and the clutch doesn't engage, there must be a mechanical problem inside the bell housing which would require removing transmission to investigate.

There is fluid in there.

2wD
Quote:

If you shift into first with the engine stopped and then leave it in gear and start the engine, does the truck move?

No.

The kind soul stopped by today @ my friend's house. It appears the MT will have to be taken out and all the stuff in there replaced. It is not clear how it drove fine during the test drive and a week later the pedal goes to the floor and stays there.

All day job, it appears it will be 7-8 C notes.

Thanks for everyone who commented. I don't have the exact details, but will update this when I do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back