Help me diagnose my Civic manual transmission issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
So recently I've noticed with A/C and radio off that my Civic would produce clunk sound whenever I shift the gears. Obviously clutch depressed all the way and when shifting into gear it would make a faint clunk. If hold the clutch pedal depressed for 3-4 seconds - no noise whatsoever plus much less resistance going into gear. Now, car has 22k miles right now and transmission was never really smooth in terms of shifter feel, you can call notchy I guess. amount of the resistance when going into gear hasn't changed at all. Although, I don't know if the clunk noise when the gear is engaged was there before or it developed recently. That being said, I kind of expect that there will be some resistance when fork is moving the synchro and it engages with the gear. I guess my question how much should I be hearing? Also, what concerns me is that there's no such sound whenever i hold the clutch disengaged enough for the input/counter shaft to slow down/stop (sitting in the garage with the sound reflecting from the walls I can tell when they stop). What do you guys think? Is that a synchros going out? Or perhaps a motor/transmission mount? Have you been hearing similar noises with your manual transmissions? Thanks for y'alls help

Usually I would say motor mount, but it's such a new vehicle? It's not unheard of to need to change the honda MTF at 20 or 30K to maintain smooth shifting. I would recommend redline MTF or amoil MTF over the gen 2 honda MTF. the gen 2 never maintained shift feel for very long like the gen 1 in my manual trans accord.

I had the MTF changed to amsoil around 4k ago. Shifts themselves are smooth, they really are. It’s just the clunk sound i’m hearIng that bugs the heck out of me

It is still under warranty? Take to the dealer and complain. If they don't do anything, I would beat the living heck out of it till it breaks! But that just me...

Try double clutching it, its not an answer to your problem, it will just tell you that your gears are then stopping or slowing down enough on the shaft if double clutching stops the clunking.

eta; By going to the dealer you have documented that the vehicle has a problem.

Last edited:
Yes, it is. Another 38k miles if powertrain warranty. I really don’t want to believe that the transmission can $h!t the bad in just 20k of highway driving.

And I really hate dealing with service people in the dealerships - 99times out 100 they will be incompetent useless careless dudes.

Can't say I disagree with your opinion, I strongly dislike the dealership myself! Many Service Representatives are merely suit wearing paper pushers.

That said, Honda normally builds rock solid vehicles, no Monday/Friday assembly problems.

Try the double clutch, if you have to double clutch to alleviate the noise then you have an obvious problem.

Some manual transmissions have a side inspection plate. Would need to drain fluid. You would need a lift, or jacked up very high. "I strongly urge you to not touch a single bolt on that transmission while its under warranty"!

Correct me if i’m wrong, but I doubt that double clutching will determine anything since i’m hearing the sound while the vehicle is stationary

Well, i’ve alrady touched one bolt - fluid drain bolt lol. But I cannot imagine it would have anything to do with the issue. Heck, I don’t even know if it is an issue in a first place, nothing to compare it to..

Did you notice the noise after the fluid change? Maybe change it back to Honda oem fluid and see if it goes away. Some transmissions are very finicky.

No, it was there before/ but i’m not sure if it has gotten worse or i just wasn’t payimg enough attention to it. Switching back to Homda MTF is an option but I really cannot see how fluid could affect transmission. Ao many are using AmsoilMTF in honda products without any issue.

Again, i’m not 100% sure if the sound i’m hearing is a problem in a dirat place. It has to be quite outside and no a/c or radio going in the car to hear it. That’s i’m try to understand. My last manual car I had produced so many different noises that trying to locate and isolate them was pointless thus no clue on how did that transmission sounded.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Correct me if i’m wrong, but I doubt that double clutching will determine anything since i’m hearing the sound while the vehicle is stationary

Did I miss something? does it do it in neutral W/parking brake on? or in gear with clutch depressed?

eta; Re read, sound like clutch disk is slow to stop shaft for some reason. 3-4 seconds with clutch depressed does not seem like a mount or a bearing problem, but if your civic has electronic motor mounts one of them could have a delay issue. I don't know if manuals have electronic or vacuum motor mounts.

Would hassle the dealer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back